Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Anyone added a passanger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152356

My 96 F was fitted with a passenger Air Bag from new, I presume the previous owner ordered it as a factory extra.

I understood that it was an additional ECU that had to be fitted to control the passenger air bag.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Anyone added a passanger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152360

My 96 F was fitted with a passenger Air Bag from new, I presume the previous owner ordered it as a factory extra.

I understood that it was an additional ECU that had to be fitted to control the passenger air bag.

by

Not additional, just different. There is only one plug for the ECU. Trying to find the right ECU isn't totally straightforward as there are more than 2 part numbers out there. Part of me feels that they may all be the same just with one preprogrammed for 1 bag and the other for 2 but until I sort my own installation it's only a theory....certainly changing the ECU alone to one I was assured had come off a 2 bag car didn't solve my issue. There is some chat on .org which says you need a T4 intervention and I'm hoping that the pecan will be able to do the same.....when I have some time.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Anyone added a passanger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152364

Some comments: can you get the ECU from your scappy? It fits under the central console. Wiring should be in place. There should be a brace with the air bag - mine didn't have one so I made one. Lastly, do disconnect the battery and leave it so for 20 mins before working on the SRS.

Richard

Cheers Richard - getting the bits from the one car more or less guarantee that they should work together.

The official line from MGR is to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, I tend to just ensure the ignition has been off for at least this length of time.

James you are right that it's 10 minutes but I'd still disconnect the battery (as per the manual). There are lots of live circuits that don't go via the ignition switch.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Anyone added a passanger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152375

So I popped the cover off in our car, can't see any spare plugs so I guess I'll get the loom out of the other car as well.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152377

The wires in my car were tucked well out of the way on one of the dashboard bracing bars.

Richard

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152390

Just had a look in the dark using a torch (easier to see than during daylight IMHO), the only spare plug I can see or feel is a white one tucked well over to the side, looks more like a electric mirror plug than SRS.

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152405

It would be easy to spot. They secure them with a wire tie on the crossmember just to the right of and above the EPAS ECU, and it's bright yellow.

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152409

I didn't notice the EPAS ECU either.

As mine is a late mk1 maybe it has a bit of a cross over loom :(

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152418

James,

Take a look here for some more info
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/68-the-t-bar/90389-srs-light

I may have taken some photos with the intention of doing a how to....I'll look on my PC next time I'm near it.

Richard

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152423

James,

I've found some pictures. I guess you removed the glove box to be able to remove the air bag blank first?

This is what the air bag plugs look like - on my Mk2 they were very neatly tucked away high-up on a dash brace.

The sockets on the back of the air bag look like this:

This is my home made brace to connect the back of the bag to a dash brace:

Lastly this is the SRS ECU which resides under your centre console just under the heater controls.

Richard
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Last edit: Post by Blow-in. Reason: typo

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152698

Thanks Richard - I just flicked the blank out with a screw driver.

I have no got the airbag, mounting bracket and ECU.

When I compare it to my car I find I already have the dash mount.

Now knowing where the wiring is (from tearing the scrap car to bits) I have found it on my car so that makes it easier.

One strange thing is the ECU, it is marked as a YWC105230 which isn't listed on Rimmers but shows up on Yahoo as for a mk2 and for the TF. Rimmers list a YWJ101230.

When I removed the airbag the cables fell off so I wonder if this was a post fit.
Also there wasn't a rear brace, how essential is it?

I'll let you know what happens when I plug it all in.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Anyone added a passenger airbag. 9 years 5 months ago #152748

The doner car was definatly a mk1 and seemed cared for (paint in good condition and well polished/decent roof (now gone)/wiring for rear speakers added/posibly hoops had been fitted (now gone) ). I wonder if the ECU is programable through T4 and the P/O had this done previously.

I shall fit the bag and try the ECU to see what happens.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in, really?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT