Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150620

I have just spent the last 18 minutes trying to find that link.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150632

Front engined :(

The sole reason I own my F is because the engine is in the right place..

The new Alfa 4C manages to get this right.. Why can't SIAC?
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150635

Personally, I'd like to see a MG sports car that focuses on 'old' core MG values of 'affordable fun'. It needs to handle well, go well (enough) and look good but please don't load it with gizmos or try to chase the MX5 which is getting bigger, more expensive and yet more boring. So keep it simple and give the kids (as well as the BOFs) an alternative to hot hatches.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150637

1st* and foremost, NO front wheel drive rubbish! :nonod:
Mid engine/ rear drive or front engine/ rear drive only. :yesnod:

2nd* It must NOT be a soft slushy boulevarder like the yanks are so fond of. :nonod:
It should be fun, sure footed, nimble and quick on a mountain pass. :yesnod:

3rd* It should have a dash of style, it must look like a sportscar. :yesnod: Not a bloody shopping trolley, hatchback, noddycar that's had the roof hacked off with a can opener. :nonod: And it should have no unnessacary plastic geegaws or other pointless styling tat stuck on it. :nonod:

4th* I should have enough power to hose off most of the automotive white goods cluttering the roads. There is no point in a sportscar that gets left behind by a cardigan wearing pensioner on their way to bingo in their beige Toyota Yaris! :nonod:
5th* It should be affordable. :yesnod:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150638

A bit more room inside would be nice, i have an F and being 6ft 2" i do find it a bit cosy to say the least.

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150639

I am still very uneasy about anything manufactured in China (apart from rice) especially expensive high end products, you can have the product designed, engineered, tested and proven with even the press tools and other manufacturing equipment finished to the highest standard but Chinese quality control is very poor.

The Japanese had the same poor reputation for quality control in the late 60's early 70's with their car manufacturing and asked American car giants to come over and help implement systems to increase quality and reliability. It's not just the physical mechanics of the quality control but the employees have to become an integral part of the process and form a partnership in the system and fully buy into it.

Now the Japanese have designed, engineered and implemented extremely robust quality control systems like Kaisan and Six Sigma which are now replicated back to the American car industry and used in many manufacturing companies across the globe plus here in the UK.

It took a many years for the Japanese product to gain the confidence of the rest of the world regarding the quality and reliability of their exported products and now they are at the top of the game.

It would take a few more years yet for the Chinese to build a reputation of high end quality before I had a Chinese car parked on my drive.

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150640

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
why not returning to the old badge engineering thing?

Cooperate with another manufacturer, redesign the outer panels a little and rebadge as MG...

New MX5 could be a nice base.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150643

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Now the Japanese have designed, engineered and implemented extremely robust quality control systems like Kaisan and Six Sigma which are now replicated back to the American car industry and used in many manufacturing companies across the globe plus here in the UK.

It took a many years for the Japanese product to gain the confidence of the rest of the world regarding the quality and reliability of their exported products and now they are at the top of the game.

It would take a few more years yet for the Chinese to build a reputation of high end quality before I had a Chinese car parked on my drive.

The downside of this is that the Japanese cheap cars are now the same price, if not more than the other mainstream cars available. The same would happen to Chinese cars, as did Seats, Skoda etc.

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150652

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

I am still very uneasy about anything manufactured in China (apart from rice) especially expensive high end products, you can have the product designed, engineered, tested and proven with even the press tools and other manufacturing equipment finished to the highest standard but Chinese quality control is very poor.

The Japanese had the same poor reputation for quality control in the late 60's early 70's with their car manufacturing and asked American car giants to come over and help implement systems to increase quality and reliability. It's not just the physical mechanics of the quality control but the employees have to become an integral part of the process and form a partnership in the system and fully buy into it.

Some excellent points, but as a pedant, I have to point out that Six Sigma is an American system, developed by Motorola, Illinois and registered in the US.
:coat:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150656

Back on topic, I was reminded the other day of what an excellent package the Fiat X1/9 was. Mid engined, rear wheel drive, dedicated engine cover not requiring 14 bolts to un do, boots front & back, a clever targa roof that stowed in the front and gave a proper roll bar doing away with the need for a separate hard top, wind break or hood renovater, spare wheel stowed behind the driver's seat etc etc. I'd love to see an MG with that packaging, some British styling and a modern powerplant.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150662

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
A lot of these ideas coming up are valuable - maybe we should take the task seriously and send a message to SAIC from this very active and lively group of TF fans - what better source could they have? As I am happy to say ad nauseam the TF is fabulous fun even at low speeds, and that must be pretty damn rare anywhere - can they at least make that a priority - along with the good looks that won the TF an award for most beautiful car of 2003? I personally like the parts box British approach of the TF but that might not translate well into Chinese marketing! (The Spitfire effect)

TF replacement... 9 years 6 months ago #150663

All good points, but they aren't looking to produce a new replacement until 2020! A lot can happen in 6 years in terms of technology and design. SAIC have stated many times that there only focus is on MG3, MG5 and the concept SUV they have designed to re-establish the brand. The only thing SAIC want at the moment is money and they won't get that from designing and relaunching the tf.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT