Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150461

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Still looking for a 160 but keep trying to make a list of the best upgrades on a budget. I love the TF at low speeds and was thinking of tuning to carry that through the rev range (cafe racing rather than the real sort!). I would be grateful for advice from owners who actually have the various bits, as against those who haven't!:

1. Z&F remap - I know it should come at the end but everyone seems to speak well of it.
2. Back box - I bought a TT 'quiet' version, should have waited, but didn't!
3. Viper air filter - seems preferred to the other kinds on offer?
4. 4 to 1 manifold - expensive item new - is it really much better than deburring the standard one?
5. Bilsteins and bigger front rollbar - to improve handling like the 85th anniversary cars
6. Rear brake discs - the VHS 266 discs - or just fiddle with the valve to get more pressure on the rears?
7. Head Work - Is it going too far for a cafe racer to spend money on the head and exhaust cams?

I will go for 17" wheels, but that's mainly appearance - having had them on my 135.
Well-informed views v welcome!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150462

Haven't had one fitted but the mike sartur "slickshift" kit seems to have had a lot of really positive feedback. Maybe something to consider?

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150465

Pgew, would you not be interested in my 160vvc in grey?

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150466

Haven't had one fitted but the mike sartur "slickshift" kit seems to have had a lot of really positive feedback. Maybe something to consider?

I do have one and it's a must have mod IMO...no point having the oomph if you are stirring the pudden trying to get the power down.. :nonod:
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150495

• pgew's Avatar Topic Author
  • pgew
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi - Tell me more - please. Regards

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150499

Still looking for a 160 but keep trying to make a list of the best upgrades on a budget. I love the TF at low speeds and was thinking of tuning to carry that through the rev range (cafe racing rather than the real sort!). I would be grateful for advice from owners who actually have the various bits, as against those who haven't!:

1. Z&F remap - I know it should come at the end but everyone seems to speak well of it.

Do it at the end or else it's a waste of money

2. Back box - I bought a TT 'quiet' version, should have waited, but didn't!

3. Viper air filter - seems preferred to the other kinds on offer?

Any enclosed induction kit is better than an open cone
4. 4 to 1 manifold - expensive item new - is it really much better than deburring the standard one?

In a word yes.. If you are chasing BHP buy a 4-2-1

5. Bilsteins and bigger front rollbar - to improve handling like the 85th anniversary cars

VHS sell the 85th kits.. Don't forget the brackets on the wishbones

6. Rear brake discs - the VHS 266 discs - or just fiddle with the valve to get more pressure on the rears?

Buy the 280mm kit from Peter at MGFMania instead..

7. Head Work - Is it going too far for a cafe racer to spend money on the head and exhaust cams?

Loads of options.. Go for just head work (DVA, Hellier, Sabre or Scholar) I'd avoid unknown local places who offer head work.. Personally I'd only use one of the four greats.. A guy on here paid £300 and all the company did was sand the inlet ports.. Cams.. Can convert to solids (633or 285 etc) or can keep the VVC and fit a 270 exhaust cam.. All depends on budget and what you are hoping to achieve

Tony has just got his TF 160 to 202 bhp (measured at Emerald) but it wasn't cheap

Allan
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgew

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150500

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

TF 160 upgrade list 9 years 6 months ago #150512

It's a xpower grey 160. 2003 on a 52 and has done less than 51k. It has 11mths mot, 6mnths tax. The head gasket has been done before I got it with a multishim gasket and I have fitted stainless pipes last week. I have also fitted a wind deflector and it has a roof cover for when it's parked in the rain etc. the roof has been reproofed but could do with dying however the window is in good condition. The interior is in great condition, Part service history with the car but I assure you it has no faults that I know of mechanically.
I'm after £2000 but open to offers

Last edit: Post by Rooky1.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.857 seconds