Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149527

Aimed at Denial really but may be of use to others who want different mirrors

You'll need to remove the factory mirror (2screws) and remove the cheetah (mirror back) from the car.. This in itself a fair bit of work.. Glass out of the door..

Once the cheetah is out of the car.. You'll need to carefully cut the rubber off the outside but DO NOT cut past where the rubber sits against the car door seal..

Next up.. Using a laser/plasma (1mm) 4" cutting disc.. Cut the aluminium face to give you a smooth mounting face.. This took ages and I used several discs..

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149528

I also had to cut the face of the new mirror to make the two roughly line up..

Once you can get the two halves flat enough so that you are happy with how they will sit.. You need to drill holes (7-10mm) in any large flat areas to provide a better anchor in the surface.. Don't matter if the holes don't line up..

The more holes the stronger the bond..

Now before you can bond the new mirror to the modified cheetah.. You'll need to refit the cheetah to the car (don't re-fit glass yet) this is so you can line up the mirror on the car..

Now using engineering/construction resin.. Pump resin into every hole and apply an even coat over surfaces..

This stuff goes off quick and generates heat whilst it cures.. It can be sanded with a disc cutter after.. But remove any excess before it goes hard..

With both sides covered in resin.. Butt them up against one another.. And hold or clamp in place until cured (5 mins)

Once set I removed my cheetahs and left them laid down for 12 hours to ensure the resin had gone solid..

You get something like this

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149529

Once fully cured I used a rough grit sanding pad in a grinder to shape the resin and aluminium to get them smoother.. Them used fibreglass paste to blend the lines..

A few hours later you get something like this

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149530

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149531

Kinda mid way...

I drilled holes on both mounting faces.. So that the resin could be pumped into the holes and when cured gives a better fix..

The holes drilled in the resin (pictured) is to give the fibre glass paste a better anchor

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149532

Invalid or non-existent item ID.I used this resin.. One tube per side..

Wear gloves.. And be aware of the heat generated as it cures..

I held my mirrors as they cured.. With a mate stood at the front of the car making sure they were level and looked the same..

Anything like this should do it

The alternative is if both halves are aluminium get someone to aluminium weld them..

But I honestly think if both sides are drilled and resin pumped in and all surfaces covered at time of bond this will be more than strong enough

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149533

I bought genuine M3 mirrors for £50 off ebay..

They have built in blind spot mirrors and are all aluminium..

I'm happy with the outcome..

Plus outside now no black rubber visible

Nice flat bottom of M3 mirror suits the top of the F door perfectly

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149534

Fantastic job!

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diesel Destroyer

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149552

Pretty much any mirror on the market could be adapted to fit using this method (other methods exist im sure)

Not saying this is the only or best way.. Just the way I did it..

I wanted rid of the rubber sections outside around the mirror

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149566

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:clap: Great job Allan very nice finish.

I really admire the way you never do things by half. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the car on the road. :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diesel Destroyer

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149595

I didn't like the rubber on the outside of the cheetah.. Especially on a whit car.. Plus although the M3 mirrors are a different shape.. You get much better vision behind you due to the clever design of the curved glass..

I know Golden Wheels had after market mirrors.. And the Concept Coupe had M3 style mirrors.. But I only did mine after Andy Willdig had a go at cutting the cheetahs.. So full credit to him

Got someone off here coming to mine end of this month to see if we can transplant some other mirrors onto his car...

Pics to follow I suspect :broon:

How to after market mirrors 9 years 6 months ago #149604

Another advantage of having an Anthracite coloured car is you don't notice the rubber on the cheaters. ;)
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.956 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT