Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149207

Hi guys, I've managed to acquire the use of a pit and workshop next Saturday and am going to change my radiator and replace the rusty coolant pipes for nice new stainless steel ones courtesy of Mike Satur. However, whilst I'm at it I intend to change oil,filter and plugs, and as you may know from my past posts I would like to fit a 2mm flow restrictor (coolant) between the inlet manifold and the 'T' piece before the expansion tank, my problem is, just what would be suitable, I can't find one readily available anywhere and wondered if anyone on here could suggest something suitable.
Many thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149213

Take your pick.

You might find something suitable in a Scuba diving shop or hydraulic fitments supplier.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rockyforeshore

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149217

Thanks David, food for thought...much appreciated.

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149244

Do you know the internal diameter of the pipe you intend to fit the restrictor into?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149246

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Could someone remind me why the flow needs to be restricted please? Ta.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149259

Hi...nice to see you back on here!
Below is a quote from Badger.....
Thanks for that Brian, however, I believe the jiggle valve in the manifold has been removed, when I disconnect the pipe from the stub coolant flows freely from it, also I can blow through it easily.
I am at present having a bite to eat whilst I wait for the engine to cool a little before I perform yet another 3 point bleed, ive performed yet another sniff test and am confident that no gas is present, I've taken a short video of the coolant flow returning to the tank and the aeration of the coolant is quite alarming, (I'll try and post it later for your perusal), something I read somewhere was that it might be adviseable to fit a 2mm restrictor to reduce said frothing......could this possibly be feasible , in your opinion?

The ball valve is fitted to reduce the flow from the orifice when the engine is running and helps stop the chance of a blockage.

When the engine is running the ball will be pushed forward against the hole reducing the flow but when the engine is stopped it will roll back, this movement of the ball reduces the chance of a blockage. If it was just left as a very small hole it would block up very easily.

Obviously during the design of the cooling system the pressure differential before and after the valves will have been calculated to have the minimum flow to the expansion tank to allow the de-saturation to take place.

The other bleed/jiggle valve is at the left side of the engine which is in the heater circuit; this allows any air in this part of the system to go back over the top of the engine to the expansion tank through the long thin hose. This should connect to a ‘T’ piece just before the expansion tank with the other bleed valve outlet from the cylinder head/manifold, remove this pipe at the ‘T’ piece and blow down it to check it’s not blocked.

By the removal of the ball in the cylinder head/manifold valve and because of the pressure differential (higher pressure closer to the pump) you may be sending coolant via the ‘T’ piece into the heater circuit without going to the expansion tank first so not allowing any de-saturation, this may also stop any flow from the heater circuit back to the expansion tank.

If you are going to try to fit your 2mm flow restrictor to simulate the ball being re-fitted make sure that it is fitted between the outlet from the manifold and the ‘T’ piece, if it’s fitted after the ‘T’ piece and the expansion tank it may exacerbate the issue.

Brian.

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149261

Not yet talkingcars... I thought I saw a detailed schematic somewhere .... Perhaps you know the ID of the return hose to the expansion tank?

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149266

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Thanks, I sorta see where you're coming from.
I'm curious about 'desaturation'
In my wonderful world of power plant fluid dynamics, saturation is the point at which water has reached its temperature of saturation, (boiling point at the applied pressure), had further (latent ) heat added and become dry steam.... So a little confused.

Then again, I am getting old.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149272

Yes, it's an odd one, simply put, I understood this jiggle valve's job was to release any air bubbles and not coolant, thereby reducing the risk of HGF, however, this pesky little jiggle valve was prone to sticking and causing afore mentioned terminal damage, hence the reason for removal being favoured in certain circles. I had a chat with Mr Satur about this and he didn't think it was really necessary to restrict the flow......

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149273

Now if we were talking, Time, Temperature, Turbulence.......

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149274

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Now if we were talking, Time, Temperature, Turbulence.......

Aha, combustion dynamics! Have you been on one of my courses? ;)

I think disentrainment rather than desaturation: the separation of entrained vapour bubbles from the fluid state. Class dismissed..... :P

2mm flow restrictor....... 9 years 6 months ago #149278

I concur.
The three 'T's' were taught to me by a very clever engineer on my City & Guilds course...many years ago, I'm old too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT