Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149107

• John and Sue's Avatar Topic Author
  • John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
This may have been mentioned before, but......
A few days off left me with the opportunity to sort something I've been meaning to do a while: the stone chips/surface rust at the base of the front arches. Apologies for no pics! Never think.

I also completed wiring up the last of my 428 LEDs. Which may have a lie factor of 428.

Standard stuff: wheels off, wire brush in drillo, Kurust, mask up, primer, overpaintable stone chip, spray with rattle can in body colour. Halfords: excellent match btw. Final clear coat. Done. Pleased. Now.... Rewind.

I eased the arch liner away at the back to save masking. Remove self tapper and ease away from the arch flange. It was then that I was amazed by the amount of damp road crud that was trapped and packed behind the lower flange and spread up behind the liner.

I cleared it out with me airline, dosed the gap with anti-rust cack then, an old Skool measure: packed the space with grease. Inelegant but effective. Others may disagree. Waxoyl may be an alternative for those not born in the fifties.

Looking at how the liner fits, it's a perfectly designed crap trap. Something perfectly designed by MGR..... Woo.

Check yours out: remove the rear self tapper and ease the liner away and check behind.

I took the opportunity to replace the front and rear self tappers with new: even sprayed the front two on each side body colour. OCD anyone?
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149118

Good work.
And great to see you posting again John :)

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149126

A definite crap trap area!:yesnod: You should fit a grease nipple so you can top up the grease! :P
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149139

Been there done that
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149140

The former owner of my car lived on a farm or at least drove up a farm track.I took a 10 kilo bucket of soil from underneath the arches,a couple of which was behind the arch liners.

I used Stainless screws and washers,not quite as OCD as you John :P

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149153

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

The former owner of my car lived on a farm or at least drove up a farm track.I took a 10 kilo bucket of soil from underneath the arches,a couple of which was behind the arch liners.

I used Stainless screws and washers,not quite as OCD as you John :P

Excellent photo! For the uninitiated, remove that screw and gently ease the liner upwards and inwards to expose the delights beneath. Prepare to be amazed.... :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re:Re: Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149161

I found exactly the same when I did mine in winter 2011. Followed the same procedure as you john, but 3 years on and the paint has suffered stone chips and the dreaded tin worm is back.
I was thinking about mud guards but I think that will spoil the lines of the car and will probably become a moisture trap. Anyone got any ideas on how to protect this area better?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149164

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
I'm hoping that the stonechip coating beneath the paint I applied should bear the worst. If it gets damaged I'll scrape off and redo.

I was tempted by the arch spats but decided against in the end.

Front arch liner crap trap 9 years 7 months ago #149516

Did mine today. Had been meaning to get around to it but thanks to the naggers (and I mean that kindly) I got motivated this afternoon. Yes, I also found a pile of crap which was removed and after everything was properly dry, I applied a lot of black waxoyl (and I was born before 'young John lad') before replacing the lining. I have the MG mud flaps fitted and they don't make any difference to the accumulation of crap behind the liners but they do protect the externals cills - I don't have a problem with how they look.. But then again I like cloth seats.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT