Sign In   Register

Topic

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148910

Hello!

Please help me with this issue It has me stumped!

A couple of days prior to breaking down, the car has been running rough on idle, and had poor MPG along with a sooty exhaust. Unfortunately, it gave upcompletly as soon as i turned the car off, leaving me with a car that turns over strong, but only "catching" once every few seconds, if at all.

Now, ive replaced the ignition coils, along with the coolent temperature sensor which has made no difference.

Once thing i have noticed, is that if i remove the fuel line from the pump, the car starts and runs fine before dying due to lack of fuel, as if the car is overfueling when the pump is connected :/ Is this possible?

The filter is new, and the pump is working, with good pressure! Good spark coming from all 4 plugs and the engine is turning over strong!

Tried disconnecting various sensors to no avail! No engine fault codes :(

Any help massively appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148913

Are you running an F or TF, MEMS 3 etc. ?

If you have a code reader can you see the given value of the engine temp from the engine ECU? (not the temp gauge in the dash)

Brian.

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148914

Sorry of course! MG TF 115 2002 1.6

Not 100% sure on the ECU, but it has the older square type key plip/

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148915

will try the fault code reader, and get back to you. It has just had a new CTS, so it should be working. will get back to you asap!

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148919

I have attached some info for the MEMS 3 which gives the pinouts for the coolant temp sensor and a bit of general info.

A bad signal from this sensor or related wiring/connections making the ECU think the engine is cold will give an extended opening time for the injectors over fueling the engine.

May not be related but you could also try a reset of the throttle position sensor;

Switch the ignition on but don't start the engine.
Press the throttle down fully and release 5 times
Wait 10-15 seconds and switch off the ignition.
Next time you switch on the ECU will have been reset to the max-min values of the TPS.

If you have a bluetooth diag ODB reader and an android smart phone you can download the app "Torque" with this app you can see sensor information in real time.

Let me know if you want the engine management wiring diagram pages for the ECU.

Brian.

File Attachment:

File Name: mems3.pdf
File Size:1,291 KB
Attachments:

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 8 months ago #148921

Brill! Thanks!

The people seem very helpful on here! Only just found out about this forum today :)

Ive got access to one of those Bluetooth things and will report back with allthe info i can!

Also, my friend has one of those handheld gizmos. cost him£900 aparently... would that be any help? Not sure if it is essentially the same as the bluetooth thing.

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148926

Might seem silly but have you checked or recently changed the spark plugs??
Could be breaking down under load or sooted upand not igniting the fuel being put into the cylinder ,defiantly worth checking if you haven't already mate

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148933

Also check you have replaced the correct coolant temp sensor. There are two; one is just for the temp gauge; the other feeds the ecu,
David
:shrug:

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148950

when my Tf suffered over fueling it turned out to be a duff Cam position sensor ,changed it and hey presto problem gone

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148952

Hi,

Sounds like a plan!

Ive replaced the Crank position sensor now - no change as expected.

Next the cam position sensor. Looking at this picture - it seems like my car doesnt have this sensor at all?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by roverchippy.

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148954

Ahh ive found where it is. Slightly different place.

It it right that it makes no difference if it is plugged in or not?

Broken down - seems to be overfueling 9 years 7 months ago #148956

Hi,

Sounds like a plan!

Ive replaced the Crank position sensor now - no change as expected.

Next the cam position sensor. Looking at this picture - it seems like my car doesnt have this sensor at all?

The image you have posted above is not the same your engine, the one in the image is a K16 VVC. you said yours is a 2002 1.6 which will be a K16 MPI.

Attached is the exploded view and legend for your cylinder head, the camshaft position sensor is item 10, held in place by an M6 bolt with an 8mm head.

Brian.

File Attachment:

File Name: cylinderhead.pdf
File Size:955 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: roverchippy

Last edit: Post by Badger. Reason: Missing Attachement
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT