Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Is there any ending to my TF problems 9 years 8 months ago #147328

Got all new micro switches for window central locking etc bought new battery and it goes flat overnight, it has no bonnet light but does have a switch I'm only locking it with the key. Starts no problem with a jump checked battery with voltmeter when running 13.23 volts. Now disconnected boot light to see if that's any good any ideas folks at the end of my tether oh 2004 Steppy if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is there any ending to my TF problems 9 years 8 months ago #147347

Quite difficult to trace where the power is being drawn but your best start point will be with an ammeter (10 amp min)

With ignition off, all doors shut and all lamps out it will normally draw around 0.2 amps. If the ignition has been switched on then off it will be around 0.8 amps for around 4 minutes as it keeps the engine ECU powered incase it needs to run the engine bay fan, then should drop back to around 0.2 amps.

If you disconnect the negative battery terminal and place your ammeter in series between the negative post on the battery and the disconnected negative battery terminal you will obviously get an amperage reading due to your high loss.

Using the attached power distribution circuits pull the fuses one by one starting at the under bonnet fuse box and progress to the drivers footwell fuses until you see a lower amp reading, the issue will be somewhere in that circuit. Once you have found the fuse which is drawing current the see what it feeds on the circuit diagram.

File Attachment:

File Name: TFPowerDis...tion.pdf
File Size:175 KB

If you need a full set of wiring diagrams for your TF then send me a PM and I will email you a set in PDF

I know it's not the solution, but for the interim you could fit a battery saver connector and just switch it off overnight to save disconnecting the battery to prevent it going flat.

I have one fitted just for convenience as per the image below.

Let us know how you get on.

Brian.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Badger. Reason: spelling

Is there any ending to my TF problems 9 years 8 months ago #147349

There is a common issue where the ecu doesn't power down and continues to draw current. I believe the problem is traced to a relay on the ecu position in the engine bay.
David
:shrug:

Is there any ending to my TF problems 9 years 8 months ago #147354

To go with my earlier post in this thread, attached is a PDF of the fuse position and function. There are also 3 (normally only 2 but the steppy has 3) external relays you could try pulling out to see if makes any difference as per David's post, they are located on the nearside of the boot behind the lining.

Relays are:
Signal to starter solenoid.
Fuel pump
Inhibit to start unless P or N is selected on the gear lever (steppy only)

File Attachment:

File Name: MGTFFusesa...lays.pdf
File Size:411 KB

Brian.
Attachments:

Is there any ending to my TF problems 9 years 8 months ago #147357

Check out this thread for info on testing for parasitic current draws
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds