Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

WARNING - check before this happens to you... 9 years 11 months ago #142232

When I changed the boot lid last year, the replacement came with a loom. I cut both looms with as much excess as possible at that point, which gave an extra three or four inches of cable to play with. I then soldered and heat shrunk all of the conductors, extending the heat shrink as far along the wires as possible to provide more support.
After taping again, I bought some spiral loom wrap from RS, (but you can get it at Maplins) and finished it off with that.
With the extra protection and more movement on the loom in that area, it appears to put a lot less strain on the wires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

WARNING - check before this happens to you... 9 years 11 months ago #142274

Once it's all fixed may I suggest this......

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
Attachments:

WARNING - check before this happens to you... 9 years 11 months ago #142275

Andy, I think you will find that that Lucas part number has now been superseded. It's now a far bigger jar with denser smoke !

What I can't understand is how so much damage can occur without blowing a 15A fuse, the amount of heat energy required to burn such a large amount of wire insulation is quite frightening. We lost a car once due to an electrical fire, hopefully never again !

As I said in an earlier post in this thread I have done the repair on 2 TF's but I cut the loom out completely from the main harness and replaced it with a high quality 7 core cable (Lapp, Stuttgart. 7 x 1mm sq multicore)

I fitted a waterproof connector plug at the harness end then formed a big loop behind the boot hinge to give minimum movement of the cable and wired the other ends direct to the individual points in the boot lid to minimize extra connections.

When I cut open up the old boot loom I found a crimp joint where the wires had been tapped into, this had been done at the factory (the black or purple I think) so I had 7 strands at one end and only 6 at the other, I put the new joint at the plug this gave me a spare core which I used for the electric boot release.

Now with the new plug if I ever need to remove the boot lid I can just unplug at the harness (why would I ever need remove the boot lid ! )
I think I still have the images in the camera; I will post them up later.

Brian.

WARNING - check before this happens to you... 9 years 11 months ago #142287

You lot are scaring me! Already had a bad weekend with the electro-pyro, and don't want another, so will be checking this out during what is going to be a damp weekend.

WARNING - check before this happens to you... 9 years 11 months ago #142301

Andy, I think you will find that that Lucas part number has now been superseded. It's now a far bigger jar with denser smoke !

What I can't understand is how so much damage can occur without blowing a 15A fuse, the amount of heat energy required to burn such a large amount of wire insulation is quite frightening. We lost a car once due to an electrical fire, hopefully never again !

As I said in an earlier post in this thread I have done the repair on 2 TF's but I cut the loom out completely from the main harness and replaced it with a high quality 7 core cable (Lapp, Stuttgart. 7 x 1mm sq multicore)

I fitted a waterproof connector plug at the harness end then formed a big loop behind the boot hinge to give minimum movement of the cable and wired the other ends direct to the individual points in the boot lid to minimize extra connections.

When I cut open up the old boot loom I found a crimp joint where the wires had been tapped into, this had been done at the factory (the black or purple I think) so I had 7 strands at one end and only 6 at the other, I put the new joint at the plug this gave me a spare core which I used for the electric boot release.

Now with the new plug if I ever need to remove the boot lid I can just unplug at the harness (why would I ever need remove the boot lid ! )
I think I still have the images in the camera; I will post them up later.

Brian.

Image of new boot loom fitted.

Electric boot release.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davem

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT