Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Terraclean Is It Worth It? 9 years 11 months ago #142052

I thought I'd tell you about my "Terraclean" experiences. Let me explain.

Early in January the MOT's were due on the MGF and the Audi TT (V6).
The TT passed with no issues, and the MGF failed on a track rod end and its emissions were quite high. The TT's in comparison were below the limit, but at a level expected for the mileage 95k miles. It would appear that the MGF had a blocked catalyst (124k miles). It was duly replaced along with the track rod end and its emissions were within the pass range, job done.

One thing I had been pondering on was the idea of getting both vehicle's down to my local garage and put them thro the "Terraclean" process. I wasn't sure on whether I would get any benefits, there can be so much hype as to whether there are any benefits, but my main concern was, if nothing else to reducing the emissions. Both cars were submitted and duly "done", any differences, not something you could put your finger on but over a period of 1k miles I did notice the ability of the TT to hold the higher gear going up a long incline on the A30. With the MGF it just drove better, by that I mean the throttle response was smoother it picked up so much more smoothly, not as much on full attack, those with 52mm Throttle Bodies will know what I mean. But to the crux of the matter did it drop the emissions. You bet it did, it reduced the pass test figures by half on the MGF and on the TT by just a bit more. Now bear in mind I run Shell Fuels only in both cars in the TT V Power and in the MGF normal so I wasn't expecting too much of a gain as I use "clean fuels" I alternate the vehicle's for work, by that I do a couple of weeks in the TT and then a couple in the MGF, weather permitting. Each week my mileage varies between 750 -1000 miles per week so since they were done I've put on 6k on the TT and 3k on the MGF.

One of the main selling points of the whole "Terraclean process" is its ability to remove all the carbon from inlets pistons cylinder heads etc etc. This weekend amongst other things I was doing to the MGF I needed to replace the thermostat and also replace the metal coolant rails at the back of the engine. This involved, for me anyway, removing said inlet manifold etc.

Look what I found,

Here you can see how clean the inlet tracks are and not only that look at the valves. Even after 3k miles they are still clean on a 124k mile engine. To say that I'm pleased with the results of my "Terraclean" and was it worth the money in my opinion yes.

Has the fuel consumption altered I would say only slightly for me, the TT averages over a weeks running, 29mpg and now about 31 mpg. The MGF did around 36 mpg before and 38 mpg after. So nothing too dramatic but all in all well worth doing.

For those of us who thought about it and does it do what it claims, well it certainly cleans the carbon and muck from the engine, and it will reduce the emissions far better than the cleaners in a tin, and whilst it won't deliver tyre shredding performance it does provide a better driving experience.

Hoped that has helped.

Tone
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob, quaysider, mgtfbluestreak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Terraclean Is It Worth It? 9 years 11 months ago #142059

That inlet looks almost new.

What were the costs involved.

Did you go to them or use a mobile service.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Terraclean Is It Worth It? 9 years 11 months ago #142068

Hi

I just visited my local garage cost £75.00 but this can vary between garages

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/

the above site should give you details etc.

Tone

Terraclean Is It Worth It? 9 years 11 months ago #142070

Thanks Tone I spotted this the other day while I was hunting for a coolant sensor kit.I took note because I have a cold cutting out problem on my ZT, when I first set off and stop at a junction the car cuts out on idle.I have tried several things to remedy this from new coil packs to an engine flush and swapped every sensor on the engine.According to the MG garage I go to, the problem is caused by a sticking valve.I think looking at your results a Terraclean is well worth a try. :broon:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT