Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142078

Day 7 on the T bar and a Morris 1000 is beginning to have a certain attraction...............
Brian
Well...where to start ...

Checked continuity of purple /black lead from ecu to solenoid initially thought there was something amiss and split the harness,
evidence of a modification to the earths (non diy but not original) .P/B has no obvious damage . Tested again and open circuit.
Reconnected and tried ignition ,no change ,starts ,runs around 40 secs ,falters and I switch off.
Uncertain about the lead despite numerous positive tests and have decided to run a replacement The contact surface in the
connector is VERY small and I didn't want to damage it but not 100% positive that I had a good connection so this seems sensible while the harness is split.

Decided to plug in the code reader again, on the last occasion only P0313( Misfire low fuel) and P0313 (Cylinder 3 Misfire)
Now P0135 (O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank1 sensor 1)
P0130 (O2 Sensor circuit Bank1 sensor1)
P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected)
P0313 (Misfire Detected with low fuel )
P0313 (as above )

I still hear the noise from the manifold area , it is sporadic and can sound like a sequential cycle or on occasions, a rather irregular chatter which increases in speed with time and to be honest sounds nasty( a strange description I know but it sounds like it might be causing damage)

Is that a recovery truck I hear? .......

Well aware that I am taking up your time with this but any suggestions would be appreciated

Sandy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142080

Hi Sandy,

Put the your permanent ground back on the purple and black so you have overridden the output from the ECU, clear the faults that have been logged in the DTC and take it for a run (if it's running OK)

There is a possibility that the electric fuel pump is failing but putting on your permanent ground will prove it.

Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northernlights

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142083

A dying fuel pump can cause intermittent faults, I had a difficult to diagnose faulty fuel pump, I didn't discover it until it broke for good, that took over 12mths!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Northernlights

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142085

Well Cobber with a bedside manner like that there is a job for you in the NHS!.... :lol:
......and despite my comments about the Morris I'm quite attached to the little devil and have no plans to break it.

Just finished grass cutting so another poke around is on the cards, Thanks again

Sandy

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142091

Brian
I did as you suggested , could hear the pump running however couldn't get out onto the road without the engine faltering,
so despite the motor running the pump seems suspect . Will bring home a suitable length of hose to check the output
from the pump tomorrow. Thanks again

Sandy

Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142092

Must practice my speed reading ...I thought you broke the car , clot I am ..apologies! :(

Re:Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142800

Brian, do you know the readings for a mk 2 FUEL pump. I appear to have 2 black permanent earth. A green black ign on live and a white purple energised 3 second live on ign on.
Oh and no fuel flow
No noise at all from the pump on ign on.
My thoughts are fuel pump dead, but do those readings suggest otherwise?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
David
:shrug:

Re:Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142802

Brian, do you know the readings for a mk 2 FUEL pump. I appear to have 2 black permanent earth. A green black ign on live and a white purple energised 3 second live on ign on.
Oh and no fuel flow
No noise at all from the pump on ign on.
My thoughts are fuel pump dead, but do those readings suggest otherwise?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Hi David,

From the schematic:

At the tank connection:

The 2 blacks are the individual earths; one for the sender unit and the other is the ground for the pump.

The green with the black tracer is the sender resistance feed out to the fuel gauge.

The white with the purple tracer is the positive feed for the fuel pump.

The under bonnet fuse F2 is the pump feed which goes through the inertia switch to the common of the fuel pump relay (brown/grey, permanent live with ignition off) The normally open contact of the relay (white/purple) goes to the pump.

The positive feed for the fuel pump relay coil is from interior fuse F14 (white, live with ignition on)

The ground signal for the fuel pump relay coil is from the engine ECU (black/purple) it becomes negative for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on, then negative when cranking or engine running.

I don’t know the resistance value for the fuel pump motor but you should be able to track down the fault with the above.

Good luck, Brian.

MGF up to 2001 Fuel pump schematic.

File Attachment:

File Name: Fuelpump.pdf
File Size:537 KB
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Last edit: Post by Badger. Reason: schematic not loaded

Re:Fuel problems... 9 years 11 months ago #142804

Thanks Brian.
From the readings I'm getting it appears that everything (power wise) is correct.
The lack of movement / sound/ effort from the pump points to a pump failure or a wiring fault within the tank itself.

i have ordered another pump/sender unit so will update when it arrives.

The car will sometimes start and run for few seconds but then stall. Interestingly Torque shows no faults, not even misfire.
David
:shrug:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT