Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Is this 'sticky out' bit needed? 9 years 11 months ago #141729

Hi All. While doing the front lower wishbone on the passenger side today I noticed a sticky-out bit of metal on the sub-frame that was rusted through (circled in the picture below)

It seems to hold no purpose though. It doesn't 'strengthen' anything, has no fixing holes for anything, nothing rests on it..... in fact it's only use is to slice my hand when I was undoing a mounting bolt (which is when I noticed it's rusty state!).

So my question is can I just cut it off both sides - then no problem for the MOT as it can't be rusted through if it's not there!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is this 'sticky out' bit needed? 9 years 11 months ago #141730

Obviously we are looking at an F subframe in your image but if you look at my image below of the TF; the lugs are the same.

The subframe started life designed and built for a Metro so maybe it had some original feature to support or mount something but now redundant. the same goes with the 2 sets of tie down eyes!

As far as the MOT is concerned it has no structural function, so if its rusty cut it with your angle grinder.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Badger. Reason: Missing image

Is this 'sticky out' bit needed? 9 years 11 months ago #141731

Yea I couldn't find TF pic that was detailed enough - luckily everything apart from the suspension mounting is pretty much the same. I thought it might be something to do with an old Metro mounting or something.... I'll cut it off one evening and then stone-chip it over..... Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT