Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #55964

Hi guys

I have recently changed the waterpipes successfully on my 97 VVC
With a lot of help from David
i have since noticed that my oil temp is a lot higher than it used to be
used to stay below 80 degrees except on a hard run and would then go up to 100 plus
now even on a normal run it is going above 120
and i noticed today the oil light on dashboard started flickering on
water temp is staying just below half
oil level seems to be fine too
any suggestions much appreciated
cheers
Andy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #55979

Not wishing to state the obvious.. It is currently very warm out and the manual warns of high ambient temps having some impact - Click here to view the page. Confirm your oil and coolant levels again once it's cooled off a bit. I assume that you have a 50/50 split with the anti-freeze? (Don't forget that it's also an 'anti-boil' function).

Are any fans kicking in at all? Is the engine fan working?

Check for anything covering the radiator (plastic bags etc) it happens. As you recently did the pipes, check them and look underneath for leakage. Is your expansion tank cap maintaining pressure well enough? That's all I can think of for now. Hopefully, some others may have more suggestions later.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #55993

My first port of call would be to check the wiring and connectors of the oil temp/oil pressure sensors at the oil filter. you may have disturbed them while fitting your pipes.

Oil level OK?
David
:shrug:

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56001

Hi again David

Yes oil level is spot on
Just had the AA out to check it over but he doesnt seem to be able to diagnose the problem
will take her down to local garage to get a further check done
i will ask them to check the sensors on oil filter
Thanx
Andy

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56003

Hi Leigh

yes engine fan is working
no leaks from water and expansion tank doesnt need topping up
water temp is staying just below half
had AA out this morning but he couldnt seem to diagnose the problem
will take it into garage for a check

thx again :)

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56004

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Eeeee, when I were a lad, the next thing would be to temporaily fit an oil pressure gauge into the sender position......if you hadn't got a Smiths 2" gauge in the dash....

Do we still do such things nowadays? Would give an immediate indication of whether it was a genuine low pressure or not.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56087

Hi David

AA patrolman couldnt tell me what problem is
He did check that engine fan was working, which it is
took car down to local garage and they replaced the oil filter, I have checked wiring to sensors which seem to be ok, but personally not sure what I should be looking for if i have disturbed wires to sensors.
took the car for a run after new oil filter fitted but oil temp still reaching 120 on a not too hard a run 80/90mph and in the rain so much cooler today than yesterday, oil light on dash has not flickered on again though
fella at the garage recommended i bleed the coolant again, although water temp is sitting below halfway ( so not sure if this could be part of the problem) and change the oil, i have been topping oil up with synthetic castrol 5/40 in and he recommended semi-synthetic 10/40, perhaps the problem is with the oil being too thin.
any more suggestions :)
Regards
Andy

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56088

Hi Leigh

AA patrolman couldnt tell me what problem is
He did check that engine fan was working, which it is
took car down to local garage and they replaced the oil filter, I have checked wiring to sensors which seem to be ok, but personally not sure what I should be looking for if i have disturbed wires to sensors.
took the car for a run after new oil filter fitted but oil temp still reaching 120 on a not too hard a run 80/90mph and in the rain so much cooler today than yesterday, oil light on dash has not flickered on again though
fella at the garage recommended i bleed the coolant again, although water temp is sitting below halfway ( so not sure if this could be part of the problem) and change the oil, i have been topping oil up with synthetic castrol 5/40 in and he recommended semi-synthetic 10/40, perhaps the problem is with the oil being too thin.
any more suggestions :)
Regards
Andy

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #56105

You only have to type it once Andy. I can see what you can see and what you type on this page can be seen by everyone. No bad news, so far, is good news. Let's hope it is the oil then. :)

Re: oil temp/oil light 11 years 9 months ago #57428

• tui
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Penelope Pitstop
The oil temperature gauge is not 100% accurate and I have heard of some having a problem with abnormally high readings. The reason for this is that the dual oil temperature sensor does not relatre to the specifications. This is proven in MGF model year 1999, but may also be a solution for your case.

What you need to do:
The 13 position multiplug (C160) needs to be removed. To do this, remove the engine cover, then remove the metal casing the ECU is attached to by unsrewing the 2 x 8mm screws either side of the casing.
Release, unclip and remove multiplug C160.
Identify the brown-blue wire located in position 7 of the multiplug. Double check you have the right one and cut approx 60mm back from the multiplug.
Solder a 15 Ohm resistor to the exposed wire. Thred the shrink tube over the resistor before connecting the other end.
Solder the other end.
Heat shrink tube to seal it to the resistor and cable and to protect connections.
You may want to also cover with electrical tape, just to make it extra secure.
Reconnect multiplug and put everything back together.
Voila!

Make sure you disconnect the battery before attempting this!

This may not be a solution to your problem, but could be the answer!

-=Visit my Website!=-

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT