Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152255

Worked in London for over 8 years nearly £650 a month currently. Luckily I now work from home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denial

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152265

It was Salfords and Horley for me..then Povey Cross on the way to Charlwood. Used to love the discos at the Reigate Rugby Club.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152276

We lived half way between London and Brighton just north of Gatwick Airport.

Small world, I grew up in Redhill and Reigate.

Small world it is .. my first home was in the tower block opposite Reigate Police Station and my second was just down the road in Axes Lane, Salfords.
All work and no play just makes me grumpy

Last edit: Post by RU58ALL.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152279

Manchester to london £11 single, booked 20 days in advance on the virgin trains website. All the work now done, just the journey home to successfully make. Full write up, thoughts and views later on tonight hopefully

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152306

We lived half way between London and Brighton just north of Gatwick Airport.

Small world, I grew up in Redhill and Reigate.

Small world it is .. my first home was in the tower block opposite Reigate Police Station and my second was just down the road in Axes Lane, Salfords.

Westway Gardens and Windermere Way.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152307

Manchester to london £11 single, booked 20 days in advance on the virgin trains website. All the work now done, just the journey home to successfully make. Full write up, thoughts and views later on tonight hopefully

I once went to Nottingham to collect my day one maestro, something like £11 single from Horsham to Victoria by train and then from Victoria to Nottingham by coach for £5.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152309

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
return ticket Cork-Dublin €62.00 some weeks ago.

Not relevant but I've nothing else to contribute. :(
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152329

So now i'm back its time for a write up, i set off at 17.00 with a rucksack and a pair of sideskirts for the short to walk to Burnley Barracks train station, and not long after i was on the train for the first stage of my journey to Manchester. Passing through a host of stations (Accrington, Blackburn, Bolton and many others to small to mention) 2 hours later i arrive at Manchester Victoria.

Manchesters very own version of Leicester Square

the slightly less famous Manchester eye

With side skirts firmly secured, i braved the hoards of tourists, pick pockets and street beggars, successfully weaving my way through the city center i arrived at Manchester Piccadilly and stage 1 is complete. I send a txt update to Adam and Allan, enjoy a latte, see Real Madrid score 3 against Liverpool and then board the train to London Euston. 2 episodes of Highway to sell later and before i know it we arrive at Euston.

Feeling a bit apprehensive (will Adam have made it, will he recognise me etc etc) i leave the platform and there Adam is waiting for me with a friend. Just time to say hello, a quick shake of hands and i am £40 better off and Adam, his friend and his newly acquired side skirts are dashing off to catch the tube. My first meet with a fellow forum member is over in 4 minutes but there will be other occasions to meet and talk cars, and i can now put a face to the name at least.

With just over 5 hours to kill before the next leg of my journey to Swindon begins i have a pilgrimage of sorts to make. In true pilgrimage style i decide to make the journey on foot, the weather is fine and the map on my phone shows i only have 4 miles to walk. Best foot forward and with a 20lb rucksack on my back i set off, there are a few navigational corrections to be made along the way but i successfully arrive at my destination.

I am the only person there, and it was just impressive to see as i had imagined. I spend some time reflecting on my own experiences of war and enjoy a pipe!

It's just after 02.00 when i leave, I type in my destination to discover i now have 6 miles to walk :tapfoot: I tell myself that a 10 mile walk is nothing and that in my Army days i would have breezed it. What i should have told myself, is that i'm now closer to 40 not 20, and that since leaving the army i have gained 30 kg and been smoking for 8 years.... 2.5 miles in and my feet are starting to hurt. A buy a much needed 1 litre bottle of water and take a short break. 03.00 and i find myself just arriving at oxford road. The streets are filled with late night revelers i consider getting on the tube but ofc all the stations are closed. Oxford road seems to be never ending but i take my time and have a couple of more small breaks. Oxford road complete i am now walking along regents park, almost there i tell myself. The ongoing cross rail works lead to some confusion about exactly where the entrance to Paddington station is. However i have made it. 10 miles completed the first thing i do is to find a seat and take my boots off. Just over 1 hour to wait before my train departs to swindon.

I arrive at Swindon at 06.42 and much to my relief I meet Allan and i'm swiftly whisked away for some much needed breakfast. I meet some of Allan's friends and we the return to his house so the work can begin. The time flies as we talk cars and mods we manage to get 1 mirror done, it's almost 13.00 and i have now been awake for 26 hours and its time for some sleep.

I cannot thank Allan enough for his excellent hospitality during my stay, and for the work he did. It was one thing to imagine this idea in my head but without Alan's selfless work it probably never would have become a reality. The journey back is uneventful, I leave Swindon at 11.00 and by 17.00 i made it safely back to my northern homeland. I couldn't be more pleased with the final result. Despite some negative comments on other forums about how they look and how they were put together, i don't mind. I said when i started this modding journey that some of the things i planned to do to my car wouldn't be to everyone's liking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, Diesel Destroyer, cairnsys, Davem, Plezier

Last edit: Post by Denial.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152337

An epic journey indeed. The price we pay for living in far flung places :P Like DD's MGF-GT I really would love to see yours in the flesh at some point.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152340

I'm sure that will happen, it would be really nice to be able to attend some events once everything is done. You'll be able to see Allan's sooner than mine. Having seen his car i would say its around 95% complete, and i know he has already signed up for FRL 2015 and hoping to attend MG live. I'll be updating my build post on monday hopefully with the mirrors. Then i just need to replace the sub frame mounts, buy a front crash bar, sort out the rear lights and then i'll be saving hard for the respray.

Last edit: Post by Denial.

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152343

Gareth it was lovely to have you come and stay and I know we've spoken privately about your circumstances and was glad to help you out..

I really can't wait to see your car in finished paint.. Will be something to behold..

I really like those mirrors.. Who knows.. I may be doing another pair soon for me lol
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Down at a tube station at midnight 9 years 5 months ago #152345

Am not sure which events I will be able to make as yet. Do have to go down south in January for an old friends 60th. We are sorting that little trip out now and unless some thing drastic happens that will be in "Blue 33".

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT