Sign In   Register

Topic

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152060

What I don't get are the ZR/ZS/ZT/Custom R25 boys, seen on a number of MGR "enthusiast" facebook groups who spend a fortune on them, customize them to the hilt, then lose interest and say that if they don't get £X000 this weekend they'll break it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denial

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by alanrt54.

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152061

Denial, I have two businesses GT MG SPARES LTD doesnt make a great profit and i dont draw a wage so yes it is a passion.To do it properly unit rents,business rates,accountants,wages, the insurance on car spares is extremely high,waste licences,permits etc its not as straightforward as some might think.
I have never advertised or marketed the business but over a period of years have built up a extremely large stock of parts most i dont sell i sit on until the as discussed people who break up in the back garden will dissapear.
My time is limited with repairs as i have my own restores going on and for my employee in the workshop Dave i choose my customers carefully i turn down or recommend elsewhere more than i take on.We havent the time.
I have been slated on some forums over the years back in the day when i was buying cat B (cant return to the road)MGF MGTFS for prices in the thousands and breaking and selling for spares.Funny now they cheap as chips to buy quite a few at it.
I recently bought three from insurance company DAMAGED MG UK MGTFS two LE500s and a 1.8 135,I repaired and sold one LE500 the other two was too far gone so got broke,i might just about break even on the two i broke so why did i do it ?For some spares for my own TFS and to gather knowledge to the differences between MG ROVER built TFS so some peoples misconceptions i am raking it in are far from true.
Yes i have a nice house and some fancy motors but i was brought up on a tough council estate went to work on a building site at 14 and made most of my money from building and my window business.It is my hope to eventually concentrate all my efforts on my GT MG SPARES LTD business but for the time being my other business which supplys my bread and butter www.bloxwichwindows.co.uk takes priority.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152062

thanks for that info Bryan some of those numbers really surprised me

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152072

This is an interesting discussion although it's probably not heading any where. I was 22 years old when I bought my first MG. It was a Mk2 Midget (1964) and was around 12 years old and cost not a lot. A 1960s 12 year old car was considered well past its use by date and was certainly not collectable but that little car never let me down and I was very sad when it met its end following a head on collision and a subsequent bounce backwards through a stone wall which removed most of the rear body work (I was the passenger at the time - I'd had a busy night shift and thought it would be irresponsible to drive). I traded what was left of the car in to a mechanic who worked from a lock-up. Most of the mechanical bits were re-used. So I think there are circumstances when stripping and doning are appropriate but like Denial I feel sad to see a relatively easily fixed car broken because it is worth more (in monetary terms) as bits. In the 'old' days if the body work was sound, it was nearly always worth fixing a mechanical fault. Not the case today. On the otherhand, 'we' are partly responsible for the market because we like cheap parts and we also like to 'upgrade' and trawl eBay for leather seats etc and help to encourage the 'its worth more in parts' brigade.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152091

Great discussion guys. I have to say I agree with all that's been said, so far. :yesnod:
I think another driving influence on cars being scrapped or broken is the un-mechanically minded owner who falls into the clutches of teeth-sucking garage mechanicics. if you're told your £1000 car needs a head gasket and that'll be £1400 pounds please. What are you going to do?
Over time, on this forum. I've seen many poor people fleeced by unscrupulous beggars :rant: £800 for new discs and pads all around, £1400 for head gasket etc. etc. :nonod:
David
:shrug:

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152108

Thanks for all contributors so far, having slept on it i have come to the conclusion that at least a moderate amount of my frustration with such posts, is partly fueled by my own financial inability to try and save some of these cars, and the snail like progress with my own car. I can't ty Bryan enough for www.howmanyleft.com which showed 261 examples left of the MGTF in question that caused me to post in first place, and only 424 left of my own MGTF 115.

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 5 months ago #152113

Strangely though that website also has some strange anomolies like there are 69nr TF's with 1200 - 1299cc engines, more interestingly there is 1nr 3000 - 3099cc (i'd like a go in the latter)
All work and no play just makes me grumpy

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 3 weeks ago #156496

As a newcomer (both to the forum & to MGFs), I thought I would chip in with my two cents worth.
Having recently changed jobs, I was looking for a reliable, economical, probably-diesel saloon for a 50 mile round trip daily commute. I had about £1500 to spend and loads of X-types, Mondeos, Pug 406 etc in the ebay watch list. And I had a very low (almost insulting) bid in on a soft top.
So I awoke to find the dreaded email, I had won a 1996 VVC in british racing green with a non-functioning speedo, no EPAS, a 2000 rpm idle and 8 weeks MoT. Yours for £250, sir.

So I collected the car, ran it home, and started googling. The speedo/EPAS was all down to the rear cable (now fixed), cleaning the IVAC sorted the high idle and things are looking up. The tyres needed replacing as those that came with it had badly-cracked sidewalls (£80 got me some good part worns), I’ve adjusted the handbrake so that it now works (some great guides on here, thanks to all that have contributed) and as soon as I can get my flash to work, I suspect it might even pass the next MoT.

Which is why I have posted here. I probably fit directly into the demographic that caused the OPs concern in the first place. I chanced upon a cheap soft top that, at sub £300, is all but disposable. If the MoT finds something horrendous that I have missed, then it’s going over the bridge. Similarly, the car has no history at all. The only paperwork I have is the V5C slip and the current MoT. The general air of neglect makes me wonder when it got serviced last, and the fact that the speedo wasn’t working makes me wonder if the 68,000 indicated miles is anywhere near accurate. And if it is, it’s probably overdue at least a cambelt, although the coolant looks brand new. So at that mileage, with no history at all, if the HG fails (they all do that, right?!) or if the cambelt fails, it’s going over the bridge. I’ll claw enough back from the VVC alloys, the seats and a few other bits to cover my money. I’ve had a laugh, covered my losses and the jobs jobbed, right?

Thing is, the car has got under my skin. It’s a right laugh to drive, bags of character and I’m enjoying the wind in my scalp motoring at every opportunity. My son thinks it’s the best car in the world. Plus I still have just over a grand left in the original budget, so if something does go horribly wrong I have enough cash to get a train to work for a couple of days while I sort out a reliable, economical, probably-diesel saloon, and take the pressure off the F. Even one as battered as mine is to nice a car to chop up just for the sake of a gasket or two…
The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, cairnsys, Denial

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 3 weeks ago #156573

As a newcomer (both to the forum & to MGFs), I thought I would chip in with my two cents worth.
Having recently changed jobs, I was looking for a reliable, economical, probably-diesel saloon for a 50 mile round trip daily commute. I had about £1500 to spend and loads of X-types, Mondeos, Pug 406 etc in the ebay watch list. And I had a very low (almost insulting) bid in on a soft top.
So I awoke to find the dreaded email, I had won a 1996 VVC in british racing green with a non-functioning speedo, no EPAS, a 2000 rpm idle and 8 weeks MoT. Yours for £250, sir.

So I collected the car, ran it home, and started googling. The speedo/EPAS was all down to the rear cable (now fixed), cleaning the IVAC sorted the high idle and things are looking up. The tyres needed replacing as those that came with it had badly-cracked sidewalls (£80 got me some good part worns), I’ve adjusted the handbrake so that it now works (some great guides on here, thanks to all that have contributed) and as soon as I can get my flash to work, I suspect it might even pass the next MoT.

Which is why I have posted here. I probably fit directly into the demographic that caused the OPs concern in the first place. I chanced upon a cheap soft top that, at sub £300, is all but disposable. If the MoT finds something horrendous that I have missed, then it’s going over the bridge. Similarly, the car has no history at all. The only paperwork I have is the V5C slip and the current MoT. The general air of neglect makes me wonder when it got serviced last, and the fact that the speedo wasn’t working makes me wonder if the 68,000 indicated miles is anywhere near accurate. And if it is, it’s probably overdue at least a cambelt, although the coolant looks brand new. So at that mileage, with no history at all, if the HG fails (they all do that, right?!) or if the cambelt fails, it’s going over the bridge. I’ll claw enough back from the VVC alloys, the seats and a few other bits to cover my money. I’ve had a laugh, covered my losses and the jobs jobbed, right?

Thing is, the car has got under my skin. It’s a right laugh to drive, bags of character and I’m enjoying the wind in my scalp motoring at every opportunity. My son thinks it’s the best car in the world. Plus I still have just over a grand left in the original budget, so if something does go horribly wrong I have enough cash to get a train to work for a couple of days while I sort out a reliable, economical, probably-diesel saloon, and take the pressure off the F. Even one as battered as mine is to nice a car to chop up just for the sake of a gasket or two…

That's it your hooked ................................................ no hope now ................................................. nope none at all! Yes I can laugh at another whom has just been caught. :bust: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffMGF

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 3 weeks ago #156583

That's it your hooked ................................................ no hope now ................................................. nope none at all! Yes I can laugh at another whom has just been caught. :bust: .

I suspected as much when I found myself driving home in the snow the other night with the roof off, giggling like a loon and waving at the MX5 drivers with their tin-tops. Oh well, worse cars to fall in love with, I suppose.

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 3 weeks ago #156584

I cant / wont work on my F, but this forum has saved me from the mech ,with the sharp intake of breath as David puts it.
I am lucky I can afford to pay for repairs, but as already been stated what is the most expensive repair? I take my F to the MG Rover xpart dealer here in Spain they charge 27euros an hour you cant complain at that.
Also I have spent a lot of time in France and the f/ tf doesn't get the bad rap in Spain or France as it does in the UK. Go to autoscout24 and see what they ask for our cars over there.
My wife paid 16500 for a little Toyota a couple of years ago, I could turn my F into a Rolls Royce for that except I would have a lot more fun in the F.

Wheel nut broke! breaking car (discussion thread) 9 years 2 weeks ago #156787

As ive had recent exerience of having to scrap a VVC (1997) in damn near perfect condition due to HGF i though i would add my opinion into the mix. I bought the car with HGF, knowing that everything else was fine, with paperwork dating back to the handover documents from rover. The idea was to fix the HG and get her back on the road. The owner was going to scrap it but due to the condition of it i wasnt going to let that happen quickly, i wanted to see this flame red phoenix rise from the ashes. I even sold my 1.8I to fund the repair. Unfortunatly the engine was totally knackered, well beyond repair and a replacement was needed. The engines were cheap enough to buy but they came with no warranty, so you run the risk of having problems as soon as you turn the key. We phoned a few garages and were quoted around the £800 to £1000 mark for an engine swap, thats labor only! no fluds or anything else included. Along with this high labour cost (a lot of the garages we phoned wouldnt even touch the car due to the engine being in such a tight space) the cost of getting the cam belt replaced, the cost of replacing the clutch, the fluids, the cost of the engine and getting the engine to the garage and no assurance that it would even work or develop HGF without replacing the HG at the same time the cost was hitting such a high that for less money than the repair i could have bought a newer TF with a hell of a lot less miles on it and had a thick wad of change to play with. All in all we travelled well over 500 miles to try and salvage this car and looked into every avenue we could but when the figures started coming in of quotes we knew there was was only 2 options left. Scrap it or break it. The option chosen was the break it to get enough in the kitty to buy another, which i have now done. The only bit of joy i got from the whole experience was knowing that by breaking her up it may allow 3 or 4 more F's to live on for a few more years. The horrible truth of the matter is, these cars are sometimes worth more in bits then as a whole.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT