• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

There you go few pictures I took during removal and fitting

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by CR41G.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149396

Looks good! :yesnod:

Absolutely standard operating procedure for the old box. They used special rust impregnated bolts, soaked in seawater to fit the original, apparently. :bust:

Now how does it sound?
David
:shrug:

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149415

• CR41G's Avatar Topic Author
  • CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Believe it or not I haven't even started it yet !!
I literally finished it with the mrs breathing down my neck because she was goin away for the night and I've got my 2 year old son so yeah I literally finished it got all my tools away and off she went and not back until tonight and she took the car seats with her in the family wagon so I'm stuck !!

The joys

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149424

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Further to David's comments re corrosion, I continue to be amazed at what spontaneously decided to rust on these cars. Having an hour or two today I tackled some under bonnet tidying I've been meaning to get around to: the ABS pump carrier and the horn brackets: the surface rust offended mine eye...... Now nice satin black.
Unlike MGR, I applied some primer before the top coat.... :yesnod:

I removed the black plastic centre cover to give a little more movement on the brake pipes.... Bugger me, the wiper motor casing was also rusty. Dealt with that too.

I'm inclined to think that, to save cash, they diluted the paint with canal water rather than thinners....
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149465

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Well done... But when i did mine there was blood. No better feeling than winning with an angle grinder. I went through stages of hammer and in the end the lump hammer did it with an assortment of cold chisel's the last one that really cracked it open was like a door wedge kind of thing.

I've done it twice though now so it was easier the second time.

If your flexi pipe goes you know whats in store for you know.

I cut it straight off and dealt with the offending flange nuts in a vice attached to the cat.

Was a lot easier this way.

Welcome to the supreme world of DIY Exhausts.

Quick Fit will take you on now if required.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149512

Although it won't be a S/S box ............................................. have this fun to look forwards to on "Blue 33" she is still on her original system after 17 years and the box had now got a rust hole in it. So the mild steel box that came off the VVC to have the hanger re-welded in place will be going onto "Blue 33 along with the front/down pipe. So I have to get the original CAT separated from them both a sit still works fine. have the gaskets on hand just need the weather and will to tackle it once she gets back from the body shop.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149765

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
The down pipe aint the best really but its not leaking yet so ill leave it for another time when it does need doin but again ill replace with stainless.
Cybox is quiet when cold but starts getting a deeper tone once warmed up but it takes around a month to fully bed in . . Trouble is i havent been able to use it since 2 days after the exhaust was fitted and probably wont be able to until october nothing up with the car though just me lol

So now sound clips until im back using it daily

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #150034

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Really missing driving it now!!

By the time October comes all this fine weather will b long gone and ill miss having the top down

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #150036

Stunning driving day here! :yesnod: :drive: :clap:
David
:shrug:

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #150371

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Back on the road now after 2 weeks of having to use the mrs corsa d !!

Any way exhaust is still bedding in as technically only drove it for 4 days after fitting the cybox but it's starting to sound better already I will do a video and or sound file when I think it's full bedded in .

It's not overly loud but is starting to produce a nice deep tone on acceleration and a rather nice rumble on deceleration a little bit more volume and it would be perfect for what I wanted.

I heard a Tf with a tt and it's just stupid in my opinion it's just noise and not in a good way

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #150376

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Well, we have a TF with a Mk 7 and it's undoubtedly noise. :broon:

Stupid? I disagree but each to their own.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 6 months ago #151042

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Didn't mean to cause offence it certainly wasn't intentional.
I used to love loud exhausts I had a straight through on my mk 2 vw scirrocco , it was that loud my mrs could hear me coming from around 7 miles away when she was in the garden .. But I was in my late teens and just thought it was awesome ,now I'm drawn towards a great note rather than just all out noise , I'm certainly not slagging off anyone or type of exhausts just my own tastes have changed over the last 9 or 10 years.

The cybox has gained a little bit more volume and the note of it is great in my opinion, really happy with it ... However I think my down pipe is blowing and it's over shadowing the noise of the backbox which sucks donkey balls!! It's ruining the driving experience for me to be honest , it's like a fuzzy air hissing noise that you can hear just underneath of the backbox note and just makes the car sound shite to be brutally honest.

I had noticed that all the wire meshing that goes around the flexy has all gone and the actual pipe looked in bad condition but didn't think it was blowing but now I'm certain it's that , that's causing my recent woes.

On the plus side I've found a company on the net called autobits.co.uk that are doing a stainless steel down pipe for 51 quid ,with fitting kit and next day delivery it's come to 67 quid which I'm happy with so should be with me by Monday / Tuesday so it's round 2 of rolling round under the back of the car next weekend and hopefully it'll all be done and dusted and I'll be able to finally get a video and sound clip of the cybox that I'm happy with (I'd recorded a few but that blowing noise just recked them)

Bare with me and I'll keep you all up dated with pictures and hopefully sound clips and videos next weekend :drive:

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT