Sign In   Register

Topic

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149229

• CR41G's Avatar Topic Author
  • CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
I mentioned previously that I had ordered a cybox stainless steel sports exhaust for the Tf , we'll it arrived this morning and first impressions are that it's very well constructed ,the welding looks really good , 1 hanger is welded to the pipe that bolts to the cat and the other is welded to the offside tail pipe.
What I didn't realise is that the box and tailpipes are not welded together ,not quite sure why but m guessing it's to aid lining them up during fitment ,instead they slide on to silencer and get clamped into place once fully aligned , personally I think it's a good idea.

Anyway hoping to get it fitted on the weekend and see how it fits and sounds and I'll report back hopefully with a sound clip or youtube video.

In the mean time here's a few pictures of it

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149230

Looks good. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149234

Does look good, just don't show the Mrs those photos........

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149250

That looks v nice. It will be interesting to hear what you think of the sound. Maybe a sound clip that can be added to the thread on exhausts as well?
Robin ;)

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149258

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
If i can get it on this weekend ill do a video for youtube and get a sound clip for whatever the site wants to do with it .

Is there a "how to" guide on removing the backbox ?? Ive done a search but nuthin has come up . . .

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149263

Here you go - fill your boots

http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjjs-guides/380-exhaust-backbox-how-to-change

They can be difficult to remove and there's a great thread of Whiz's tribulations on removing his but I can't put my finger on it just at the moment. Probably best to read Clive's first anyway as it may put you off!

Best advice is to use cat saver nuts when you reassemble it to allow easier removal in future.

Good luck!
Robin ;)

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149271

Found Whiz's story. It's a great read :yesnod:

One other thing, when I did mine I found it easier to take the back box and cat off together, then separate the cat and back box.
Robin ;)

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149276

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

Found Whiz's story. It's a great read :yesnod:

One other thing, when I did mine I found it easier to take the back box and cat off together, then separate the cat and back box.

I was part of the Great Whiz Exhaust Story.....

Several hours of my life I'll never get back.... :(
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149319

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks for the link very helpfull !!
It dont seem to bad 3 flange bolts , silencer strap and 2 hangers to slide off

Guessing ill find out shortly

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149335

Ahhh actually you have to undo rusty bolts holding the heat shield in place and then undo two more rusted bolts for the exhaust hanger with the fixed hanger type boxes anyway as I found out last Thursday when I fitted the Bosal rear box. Took longer than expected.

"Elsie" now has a complete new system except for the manifold.

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149362

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

Thanks for the link very helpfull !!
It dont seem to bad 3 flange bolts , silencer strap and 2 hangers to slide off

Guessing ill find out shortly

Angle grinder at the ready! :yesnod:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Cybox stainless steel exhaust 9 years 7 months ago #149367

• CR41G
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
We'll well well

What an arse hole that was !!!

The bolts holding the backbox to the cat wasn't actually bolts any more rather just lumps of rust ..if it wasn't for actually knowing it was bolted I would have never had guessed!!

Had to grind down both sides of all 3 bolts and it still wouldn't split due to the rust fusing it all together , had to use a cutting disc and using the gasket as a guide cut through the middle of the whole thing to separate the two.

Off side hanger bolts where soaked in plus gas but just sheared off as soon as the ratchet was turned so made life easier so at this point old tatty rotted out backbox was out (weighs a ton)

I didn't remove rear bumper ,cat or heat shields at any point during the removal or fitment.

Any way I then tried to drift out what was left of the bolts on the cat . . . Didn't work so I centre punched them and drilled pilot holes with a 2.5mm bit gradually getting bigger until all of the bolt had finally been removed from the holes.

Finally it was all ready to fit the new backbox !!!

Thank god it was so easy to fit , I used exhaust sealer on the cat and stuck the new gasket to it ,slid the backbox on to the near side hanger and propped the off side up on an axel stand , and bolted up the box to the cat .

The off side hanger was welded to the removable tailpipe so run some exhaust sealer round the backbox port , slid on the pipe set the finisher where I thought it looked good in the bumper and tightened up the clamp.

Near side tail pipe again run some exhaust sealer round the backbox port and simply just slid it on got it looking level with the off side and tightened up the clamp .... Done!!

Fitting of new box took around 20 - 30 mins mainly gettin tail pipes where I wanted them to be,removal of old box took around 3 and a half hours!!

All done on my drive with the car on axel stands and to be fair the cars rear tyres where only around a cm off the deck and I found it quite easy to work on even with the grinder .

Pictures to follow

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT