Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147603

Having only had one key fob since owning the car I bought a new un-programmed fob with programming barcode (about a year ago) I was going to treat myself to a T300 programmer to do the programming task but could never find anyone who has done it successfully on the later Pektron BCU and fob.

The other options were post it out with the current fob and BCU to have it done, this would mean taking the car off the road for a few days or a week while it was done and posted back. The problem with this is it’s now my daily drive as Judy uses the other car for work.

I made a few enquires down here in Cornwall to get It done locally and after 2 wasted trips found out that they could only do the Lucas type (which I told them both before that it was a Pektron type not Lucas)

i thought the last hope was to find a local MG Rover dealer with the T4 Testbook; the nearest was about 30 miles away R. C. Harding & Son in Mousehole, Penzance gave them a call and they said no problem, we can do it while you wait as it will take no more than half an hour. I asked for the price; £75 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way am I paying £75 for half an hour’s work and by the time I have done 60 mile round trip + the VAT and I am supplying the new fob! not happy.

When I checked on the internet garage labour rates I was quite shocked, I also spotted this on the This is Money website;
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2655078/Garage-repair-labour-rates-hit-jaw-dropping-record-highs.html

In the end I have just bought and just fitted a second hand engine ECU, BCU, ignition switch reluctor coil and 2 key fobs all matched off an 05 TF from Wilmot’s for £89 inc VAT and postage.

So I now have my 2 keys and fobs, plus the parts I took off that are all matched and working just in case I have any problems in the future.

Brian.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147604

Yes garage rates are high and dealership rates are higher this is why I use my local mechanic as he knows MGs inside out and there is no VAT charged as he is to small so it works out to between £35- £45 and hour labour which I am happy to pay
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147607

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
the rates in London are not representative for UK I assume but £200 is really OMG! :omg:

Paid an hourly rate of €45.00 (£35.60) at my local garage yesterday - fitting a track rod end + wheel alignment = €54.87 (£43.40) in total...
:broon:
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147609

Hi can you pass me the contact details for Wilmot

Thanks

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147610

Last week I lost the key for my evo X .

Mitsubishi wanted £240 to order in a key then i had to get the car over there to have the key programmed in.
I most likely would have paid it but the sequential box was in park so winching it on a trailer or truck was a no go.
Luckily i was recommended a guy (panick keys) who came out cut a key and programmed it to the car £120.He will only do this if you have the logbook and some id.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147612

Hi can you pass me the contact details for Wilmot

Thanks

Sorry it was Willotts

Willotts Limited
Unit 6 Rossington Business Park
West Carr Road
Retford
Notts
DN22 7SW

Ph: 07714 029436

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Willotts-Limited

Brian

Garage Labour Rates 9 years 7 months ago #147613

We charge £45/hour for servicing and repairs, £35/hour for longer restorations. Dont forget that labour is subject to 20% vat....
"If it all seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!" Mario Andretti

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT