Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154417

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You cannot supplement the dipped beam with anything.

Spots should be wired so that they come on with main beam for road use.

Why would you put spots on without going to main anyway? Spots will dazzle other drivers, so with that in mind, you may as well be on main beam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154425

Just trying to find a way of improving poor dip lighting which seems to be inherent on 'F's

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154427

Fogs help dipped but shouldn't be used unless it's foggy, however with the advent of DLRs it seems to be less of an issue.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154439

Presuming that you have checked you don't have the usual problems with Fs ie the reflective coating has dulled/disappeared behind the bulb, and/or the glass internal lens is fogged over, then fit some uprated quality bulbs such as osram nightbreakers. These bulbs are legal(55w) but put out about twice as much light as a standard 55w bulb. I have them in my F and the dipped headlights are fine. :broon:
Don't be tempted by ebay 'super bright' type cheap bulbs or increased wattage ie 100watt bulbs. The former are rubbish, the latter are illegal and could cause issues with melted electricals. :nonod:
David
:shrug:

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154440

Something like these Nightbreakers

David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154455

I got a pair of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimted Plus for my Jag from
Driven2automotive.com
a little while ago for about £12 plus vat for the pair.

They still have them and other versions, H1, H7 etc for that sort of money.

They work really well in the Jag and I will be putting the, in the F at some point
Robin ;)

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154457

Having just done my 1st night drive in my 02 TF, I was not happy with the light out put, so will be fitting nightbreakers on the dip beam.
According to some reports, there have been issues fitting improved main beam bulbs [HB3A]?
Also the beams appear to be directed too much on the L/H curb & I would like more light centrally.
Is there any horizontal adjustment?

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154461

There are horizontal and vertical alignment adjusters. :yesnod:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrester

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154483

I've been using my F quite a bit at night recently, the light pool on the road on dipped beam is not brilliant but the total light is actually not that bad, the road signs several 100 yards ahead are glowing, full beam is great. I think the real issue is the height of the lights and the angle they are required to dip at, not much cure for that.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154484

There are horizontal and vertical alignment adjusters. :yesnod:

Unfortunately they are "Diagonal" adjusters :nonod:

To move sideways only you need to play with both adjusters, and is a real pain.

Also the plastic adjusters are prone to snapping off.

My advice if you want to adjust them yourself:-

During the day, when you can see what you are doing, make sure the adjusters are free, and lubricate if necessary.
You will need a 7mm allen key (Or imperial equivalent!).
At night park about 10' from a clean wall (such as a garage door). With your dipped beam on, you should be able to see the beam cut off points.
Mark them on the wall as a reference, then adjust your lights a small amount until you think the beam cut off points are in the right place, then go back a little, as you will have gone too far :-?
Take the car for a test drive, and repeat as necessary.
While driving keep a check on the cut off points, and ensure they never rise higher than the top of the numberplate on the car in front when in traffic!.

Alternatively......get a professional to do it, but I have found these to be lacking in the past, as they concentrate on a safe dip, not a safe dip, and optimized light spread.

Also worth checking on any TF headlight is the condition of the outer plastic lens.
The passenger side often crazes up due to coolant leakage on the perspex, and a good polish using 1200 and 2400 wet and dry does wonders

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Forrester

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154485

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Is there any horizontal adjustment?

Yes, but it isn't that simple. Most adjusters move the headlights diagonally and it is a combination of fiddling with the 2 adjusters that gives you your horizontal or vertical adjustment.

Don't just adjust the beam to give you the beam you want as this will invariably be more blinding for oncoming traffic. Take the car to a garage and have them set the headlights up properly on a beam tester.

Should have read to the end before commenting as I just repeated most of GORSQs post.

Last edit: Post by cjj.

I cant see! 9 years 3 months ago #154487

I am having the same problem I drive past the cat and fiddle pub near Buxton Derbyshire, it nightmare no cats eyes or lights and do this eveyday
I don`t now which is the left and right or up down so adjuster so i have counted the turns on screw adjusters and there about 10 on each and set them in the middle about five turns each this suprizely seems about right. then make some minor adjustments hold black card i use my black parcel shelf from the 5 door MG ZS and see the light shine on the black parcel shelf and make some minor adjustments

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT