Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142238

:nonod:
I am in the process of stripping down my engine on a vvc F, which suffered terminal damage two weeks ago....5 valves broken and three holed pistons!
I have removed the Head and all ancillaries and was wondering, could remove the remaining lower block with a block and tackle out of the top of the engine bay instead of dropping the subframe etc from below? as far as I can see there is only the bolts connecting the gearbox and the 2 holding the subframe to the block on the opposite side.
I would assume that I would need to support the weight of the gearbox with an axle stand, but I can't see any other obstacle...anyone think that this approach is feasible?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142241

Certainly do able.

How you gonna get the engine back in though???

Probably be best dropping subframe imho.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142249

Hi Eric, as above - you could, but you're somewhat decorating the hall via the letterbox..

if it were me in that serious surgery, i'd drop the subframe out, check clutch and everything, clean and prep the engine bay, and have it ready to lower the car back on to.

up to you, though. let us know how you get on :yesnod:

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142254

Take your point fellas, but I have a replacement engine which I intend to strip prior to fitting to check the clutch and do a head gasket replacement as well as timing belt ,clean etc, so fitting would be the reverse of the process...I can't see the point of making extra work disconnecting the brakes, suspension etc.

I agree with the comment of decorating the hall through the letterbox! But I have found access ok really. I just wish that the designers had made the cross brace at the back of the boot detachable as this is the one thing that makes top access trickier than it should be!
:slapme:

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142256

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I've heard it is possible, but I would say dropping the subframe would be the easier option.

engine block removal 9 years 11 months ago #142261

You have to move the engine sideways to split the gearbox and then the same when refitting,

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT