Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152647

First real good look under the rear of the car, but disaster at the front..

Crikey peeps, but just where does one jack these cars up on?? Goodness, aren't they really low. Came off the jack twice...fortunately before I got under the car.
But, rear subframe was surprisingly not too bad, quite a bit of surface rust but I ladled the Hydrate 80 on and tomorrow, if it is still dry, I will be Waxoyling where I can. Even the coolant pipes weren't too bad, again surface rust. Bit of an oil leak which is confusing to see where it is coming from as I have it above where the oil filter is and on the other side of the engine where the dip stick goes in. More to look at tomorrow.

But where I really have a problem (the smallest of things!!) is removing the headlights. The screw inside of the wing which attaches to the big plastic stay of the rear headlight which means I can't use heat. Why they use screw headed in these places I do not know. There is nothing to grip onto. Bad light stopped play but unless anyone has a good idea, I guess I will end up having to drill it off tomorrow. Don't really want to as I'm not sure how I will resolve it when I need to put it back as I don't know whats on the other side of the screw!

Any thoughts ?????

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152657

There are central jacking points on front and rear of an F. The front one is just behind the radiator cross-member and the rear one is at the front of the subframe. Both U-shaped.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152659

Gently file a flat edge on two sides of the headlight to wing panhead screw,this will enable a decent pair of molegrips to grip and crack the screw.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152660

Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152668

Crikey peeps, but just where does one jack these cars up on?? Goodness, aren't they really low. Came off the jack twice...fortunately before I got under the car.

I trust you don't go under a car that is only supported on a jack.......

Halfords were selling a low jack recently, ideal for getting the car up in the air.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Aghhhhh...Bumper Screws & Headlights !! MGF 9 years 5 months ago #152965

Drive the car ont a couple of old planks.... it raises the car enough to get an "old school" jack under it. Theres central hoops front and back you can use az the previous posts say. Lots of places to put axle stands against the subframes once its in the air. ;-)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT