Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152251

Hi Everyone,
My name is James i'm located in Solihull (Birmingham) and i'm looking to buy a fairly low mileage TF 160 for between £1500 and £2000 before Christmas.

I know my budget isn't huge but i have been looking now for months and have seen some really decent examples come and go off auto trader and eBay for around the £1600 mark.

If anyone has any advice on what to look for when buying one and what to watch out for that would be fantastic :)

I think i defiantly want the 160 bhp engine over the 115 and 135.

I Have had a seat in a LTD Edition 135 and i loved it but would love to meet someone in the midlands and have a look at their TF if any one is local

Thanks in advance guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152252

Hi and welcome.

Good luck with the search.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152253

Welcome ! This can be a good start for a vvc yes or No discussion! Yes for the bhp , no for costs ( maintenance) and little gain in torque......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152256

:welcome:

Re:Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152257

Welcome ! This can be a good start for a vvc yes or No discussion! Yes for the bhp , no for costs ( maintenance) and little gain in torque......

Well, if that's what you want. That's that then. Welcome. :)

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152262

:welcome: and good luck with your search, the output figures quoted are PS the bhp figures are slightly lower,
160 is 158bhp, 145 is 143bhp, 135 is 133bhp, 120 is 118 bhp and 115 is 113bhp. - don't discount the 135 TF as many have felt that it is more spirited than the 160.

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152268

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
Hi James, welcome aboard!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152277

Hello James just a few pointers,try and get a look at the underneath at subrames and the sills,a few starting to go a bit spongy at the rear bottom sill where the rear arch meets,take the spare wheel out and look for damage to the wheel tub lift the boot carpet and look for water ingress or any previous damage, feel for wet patches on the cockpit carpet.
The engine always a gamble with a k series dont get to moved by the much quoted Headgasket done it doesnt guarantee problems will occur again
You may have or may not have mechanical skills if not try and stretch your budget there are some good ones left but its worth paying that extra for a low mileage one with only a couple of owners.A average one will probably require some attention once in a while but if you enjoy working on them perhaps not such a issue.
Dont wear a helmet and post a video driving like a clown on a public highway with other road users it aint cool.
Fast cars and bikes my thing i have the scars and the cars ,but a there are tracks all over the uk a time and place for it.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152304

A good choice to get a v v c. They make a good ROAD CAR with good low down torque. Mine will pull in 4th at 1100rpm and you have 85% of your torque at 2500 rpm :broon:
Mine is an 04 it had what looked like a lot of rust but when I got under the car last month it was only surface rust. A wire brush and some sandpaper soon had it clean than a coat of black hammerite, job done.
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152310

The helmet segment is edited onto that video above. Guilty as charged. :yesnod:

The drive itself is progressive, controlled and the national speed limit reigns on that road. Sure, putting your foot down is always debatable and plenty will argue about their being a time and a place, meaning the track of course. Personally, I would argue against that singular scenario and I would add that the MG video above is a safe, yet spirited drive in all aspects.

The AA, naming the road in the video as one of the top ten drives in the world, supercars on virtually every public road and every McDonalds car park and as much power as you can afford to buy can only surface in one way, speed. Sure, go and get some experience on the track, if you like. It will only serve to make you a safer and more seasoned road user on the public highway. Even whilst driving in a spirited manner.

Most of todays 'standard' cars can do 100mph plus, at the very least, anytime and any place. The percentage of those that have ever used the track is negligible. I have to ask myself why the national speed limit is still only 70mph because you won't get pulled for doing between 80 and 90. Is speed wrong when applied in a car built for it, and by an experienced driver with the ability to apply it correctly? Or, is slow, generally safer on such roads?

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152314

Some valued points Leigh,its the bit where the overtake of the X trail coming blind on the bend that looks a bit maverick.
Perhaps i am being a killjoy definetly hypocritical but i have had my fair share of RTAS my nick name is flatface :bust:
I have gone through bustops on a CBR1000 being the worst ,to hitting a tree in a LDV VAN some self inflicted some by others. a few others but my accidents are not the point here.
When i was younger i was a prat ,these days on the motorway i am a 70MPH man as i am very mistrusting even anxious of other drivers.
Now when i get my toys out on track A 10 second 1/4 mile jap car, and two other jap cars i use which are what i consider fast cars on the track for for some reason all that comes out of my system we are not doing nothing illegal or likely to injure some unexpected road user or public member.
i feeled drained after a good track day but i take some solice out of getting the maximum out of my car knowing that if i get hit or hit somebody at least the risk was clear before we started.

Hello All looking to Buy TF 160 Advice please :) 9 years 5 months ago #152315

Right or wrong. All opinions are valued here. We're an experienced lot for sure. :)

If you ever get a chance, get yourselves up to a border patrol event up north. They don't have regular roads up that way, things take a bit of time getting used too. 40 seems like light speed on those twisties. :broon:

Anyway, I'm off to bed now. I've got another long day sitting in traffic tomorrow. :lol:

Night night all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT