• Page:

Topic

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149520

• VVC160's Avatar Topic Author
  • VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Van (not yet a camper) driver nowadays
Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF really sold in France and registred as it???

A young english chap maried to a french sold it to me in the end of 2010...
Forgot to sign the seller's case of the V5..

Tells he has warned DVLA!
EXPORT MARKER shows NO
while my TF 160 report shows YES!

It's a pain to get rid of it, since I recon the head (took months as newbie to VVC, like the workshop was)
It appeared last year (after buying the expensive COC at MGR C&C Services,
a required paper for the french MOT (contrôle technique) that there was no VIN stamped on the front wing (that has been replaced vs some shock)

The car was bought with 1 or 2 months UK MOT left, and surely wouldn't get a new one because of that.
It was just brought to France for a quick sale.
Much too quick, will I say

Shall I enquire some more about this sale? THX
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by VVC160. Reason: mod

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149523

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
The UK registered keeper (the person named on the V5) taking the car out of the country to sell should have filled out section 11 of the the V5 and sent it to the DVLA to inform them that the car was no longer in the country.

The far more worrying thing is that you say the identification plate from the engine bay has been removed? Does the VIN number on the plate visible behind the windscreen match the VIN given on the V5?

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149524

the VIN is SARRDWBTCWD033971 AND WAS BORN ON 12TH FEBRUARY 1998, the Vin should be stamped into the top of the inner wing adjacent to the horns. There should also be a body number in the boot, painted plate, behind the carpet on the firewall, in front of the ECU. the car is listed as an Abingdon SE, which i could be because it is Green but the paint code is required from the Vin plate under the bonnet. No Vin stamped into wing and no approval number on Vin plate, it could be a ''Ringer''

Can you post a photo of the Vin plate and see if there is a body number plate in the boot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149570

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
VIN missing is the the one of driver"s side cfrannt wing, near the shocker & horns (like on my TF).......

What about V5 section 9 that I still have??????

Attachments:

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149574

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Have you removed the big plastic cover in front of the wiper motor/clutch cylinder, the VIN could be obscured by it?

That section 9 is only used if you sell the car to a car dealership or trader who is not going to use the car just sell it on.

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149637

Hi. I'm a bit puzzled by your article. If I read it correctly you can't get a CT because the VIN plate which should be riveted to the RHS inner wing is missing? These plates are available blank and you can get one stamped up. However, as the other guys have said there are other VIN's located elsewhere on the car which should satisfy the CT. More worryingly, it seems to me that quite a bit of information is missing from Section 4 of your V5. In particular section K the type approval number is blank; yet shown on the picture of the vehicle plate? That e11 number is essential to you getting the car accepted.

FWIW, for all MGF/TF owners who wish to register their vehicles in France; you DON'T need an expensive COC as supplied by some of the "outlets". A simple visit to the DREAL in your area with a photocopy of the V5C - (providing it has the e11 number in section K ) AND you explain it is a ROVER

'cos it's NOT an MG :nonod: it really is a Rover :yesnod: at least as far as France is concerned. The fee currently is 67 Euros. You need a TVA form from your Tresoriere and with you CT and V5 you can then pop over to your Prefecture and all should be well.

BTW you can now use a UK MOT instead of the CT as long as it has more than six months left to run. The MGF guys will hate me for this :bat: BUT the MG TF is the easiest to export as it doesn't need expensive new headlights and the e11 number is already on the French system. :woo2: Bon chance.

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149693

• VVC160
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi THX
because the VIN plate which should be riveted to the RHS inner wing is missing?
- Inside part of the wing should have a stamped number
- I know that some workshop will be able to restamp it
- but legally, some may say that the car should be checked by experts & so on...
I only mention the sale was false as it.

THX about DREAl, but sorry that's the first place I was to avoid £150 COC, but locally they do not intend to give me the paper!!!!!!!
I've even heard that the need a CT (<Mot) without any advisory on it (quite impossible)
but I'm aware that some counties (départements) are more friendly with Rovers....
North-West part of France, I guess.......

Second bit is that it can be long (my COC was paid through Paypal on Friday, arrived on Monday or Tuesday...
& we have but a month to ge tthe carte grise (REG V5) in the Préfecture, according to the insurance companies rules...
Lost my first MGTF contract because of that...
but waited three days & got a second that lasts since 2011.

Attachments:

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149785

Hi. The DREAL - formerly the DRIEI - WILL supply you with a COC usually while you wait or within 24 hours. You simply tell them it's a Rover MGTF and supply a copy of the V5C. The cost is 67 Euros as of yesterday. I have now registered five MGf/TF's since April this year for myself and for various club members. However, as you appear to have a COC all you need now is your CT. You don't say which part of France you are in? My local CT says that the lack of a stamped VIN on the wing is not a problem if the vehicle can still be clearly identified from other VIN's. Since you have the plate and the other VIN stamps that should be OK. Don't forget that the engine number should also back up your V5C data. Your COC should also show the VIN as well as the current registration.

Once you have the CT. You need a form obtainable from the Hotel des Impots, which basically you fill in to show that it's not a new vehicle and does not need to pay import duty. The staff are usually very helpful and will fill it in with you if your French isn't brilliant. Take this, the COC, CT, your Passport and a utility bill to show your address in France to your Prefecture and the fee for your Carte Gris should be about 160 ish Euros.

I must admit there is a lot of "hype" on many forums about registering a car in France and I was very worried when I first did it. The normal procedure is CT first - doesn't need a COC it can be done on the V5C - but if you want you can get a COC by following the above procedure via the DREAL if it makes your CT man happier. Then the forms and a trip to the Prefecture. If the MG is over 30 years old the COC application is via the FFVE and you can then register the car as a "Classique". This has many advantages including only needing a CT every 5 years instead of 2.

For the Brits reading this who now yell "what an MOT only every 2 years"! I should point out that the CT test is far more rigorous and very much automated - there's even a machine for testing suspension, ( that one frightens the hell out of me when it shakes your car like it's going over very rough cobbles :woowoo: ). As for the 5 year test for older vehicles; well in the UK now if it was registered before 1960 then it's not tested at all :-?

Some of us are old enough to remember Ernest Marples bringing in the first MOT test. It was for vehicles over 10 years old and so many of them failed the test was reduced to 7 years, ( still over 90% failure :oops: ), so the test was progressively reduced to what it is today. If in say two years time we tested those pre 1960 cars I wonder what the failure rate would be :nonod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, PQD44, John and Sue

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149789

For a less complicated life, you should all immigrate to Victoria (the best state in Australia) where there are no inspections required other than a roadworthy certificate when you first register the car in your name, after that all you do is pay the annual registration and compulsory third party insurance (which is included in the registration fee) when the notice comes.
No bloody SORNs, V5s, MOTs or any of those other bureaucratic nightmares.
The RWC (roadworthy certificate) can be a problem but no so much if you find a friendly RWC tester.

You might think that without annual or regular inspections that we would have a higher accident rate, but when compared to the states that have annual inspections, we don't, so based on that regular inspections would appear to be a costly waste of time and effort.

Every year the VACC ( Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce ) pushes the government for annual inspections, of course the fact that they have a vested interest that would financially benefit their members has nothing to do with their concern!
And every year the motoring lobby including the ultra conservative and highly respected pillar of the establishment, the RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria ) successfully opposes the VACC's push. Thus the balance of the universe is maintained! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149803

For a less complicated life, you should all immigrate to Victoria (the best state in Australia) where there are no inspections required other than a roadworthy certificate when you first register the car in your name, after that all you do is pay the annual registration and compulsory third party insurance (which is included in the registration fee) when the notice comes.
No bloody SORNs, V5s, MOTs or any of those other bureaucratic nightmares.
The RWC (roadworthy certificate) can be a problem but no so much if you find a friendly RWC tester.

You might think that without annual or regular inspections that we would have a higher accident rate, but when compared to the states that have annual inspections, we don't, so based on that regular inspections would appear to be a costly waste of time and effort.

Every year the VACC ( Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce ) pushes the government for annual inspections, of course the fact that they have a vested interest that would financially benefit their members has nothing to do with their concern!
And every year the motoring lobby including the ultra conservative and highly respected pillar of the establishment, the RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria ) successfully opposes the VACC's push. Thus the balance of the universe is maintained! :lol:

When we were in Melbourne one Aussie guy that worked for us who lived in Boronia (Vic) used to take us water skiing some weekends to Lake Eildon, he was always moaning about the registration as his Holden pick-up (ute) boat trailer and boat as all had to be registered separately and all had their own registration number (number plate) he said it was Victoria's revenue collection.
Not sure if it's still like that now (we came back to the UK in 1998) but it looked strange to see a different number plates on the towing vehicle to the trailer and I could never understand why you would need a registration number on a boat!

Underbody corrosion is rife in the UK due to the rock salt that's put on the roads during winter, plus the very high humidity.

No annual check (MOT) for the first 3 years of date of first registration then annually after that. If we didn't have the MOT we would have a lot of very dangerous vehicles on our over populated roads which are in a very sad state at the moment.

I think the other reason for our MOT (controlled by the EU, now Euro 6 standard for 2014) is about reduction and compliance in exhaust gas emissions (part of the MOT check) The MOT is around £50 and takes about 45 minutes which will only cover the labour so no revenue to the government is collected, revenue is collected by an annual road tax which could be zero for an electric car and up to £500 for a high emission car (255g/km) there are 13 price bands between high and low. The other cost is annual car insurance where the minimum cover is 3rd party only.
As an example for the TF annually I pay around: £468
MOT £50
Road Tax £265 (194 g/km)
Fully comp insurance £153
Not sure how the costs compares with your F in Aus.

Newly registered diesel engined vehicles are now getting a pounding with Euro 6 and most will have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) fitted between the exhaust manifold and CAT. When conditions are correct from engine RPM, engine temperature and exhaust gas temperature the passive conditions in the DPF should vaporise the collected particles and the filter should self clean. If these conditions can't be met (only short journeys at low speeds) then an active process starts, a small amount of post fuel injection takes place (controlled by the engine ECU) to increase exhaust gas temperatures to help the burn off.

Engine manufactures all have their own variation and some even inject diesel into the DPF directly. Unfortunately this new system is not working very well for all engine manufactures and DPF's are getting blocked, as this starts to happen the EML will come on to let you know there is a problem (pressure build up in the exhaust system) and it may put the engine into limp mode so you can just get to the dealer; who may be able to clean the DPF or worst case a new DPF.

Brian.

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149813

Annual registration & third party insurance is A$592 ( @ £340 ) a year.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Vehicule enquiry: Is this MGF sold in France? 9 years 7 months ago #149854

Annual registration & third party insurance is A$592 ( @ £340 ) a year.

It's looks like good value for your money over in Oz; not sure where our extra collected revenue is being spent but it's certainly not on the roads and if the Scottish get the yes vote we will be loosing the oil revenue tax so we will have even less to waste spend on the roads.

Do you still have to have annual registration for trailers and boats etc. if so how much say for a small 5' x 4' trailer?

In the UK there is no compulsory registration or annual TAX for boats/trailers etc. so overall just our annual car expenditure may balance the difference.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT