Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144311

:help: Hi I'm a newbie to all this. I have a 2010 (No 95 ) LE 500. 1st gear will not engage, the others are all there but slightly lumpy (little tap on the stick to locate needed). Any advice or pointers appreciated. I used to be active and fit but slightly arthritic and less dextrous these days so an easy fix would be appreciated if there is such a thing these days ! This is my fourth MGF/TF not had this problem before.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144312

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:welcome: to the T-Bar.

That's a nice car you have there.

I did a guide to improving gear selection but this relates to the earlier F. It may give a clue. Click here to view.

Others will be along soon to assist further.

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144314

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Just spotted your album
( Click here to view. )

Is this your third F / TF ?

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144319

1st one was a 2002 F Tahiti blue (immaculate birthday present) 38k, lasted 11 months until a corsa rear bumper mashed the front end up and wrote it off at less than 20mph. 2nd one was 2000 plate F 54k, again Tahiti blue off ebay at £1345.01p known water problems, simple fix with new pipes, again immaculate. 3rd one was 03 plate TF turned out to be a mish mash of various parts not original, (passenger seat on drivers side, wheels from a different model, interior parts and colour mismatched) couldn't wait to get rid of.
The latest upgrade, (Huggzy as its been analy called) in Crystal White colour is the Chinese version and quirky to say the least. So this is the fourth procurement of my MGF/TF experience. I was, previous to them driving big four doors or riding a GSXF 750, (a190 mph killing machine) until ankle arthritis kicked in, and now enjoying 50mph, wind in the hair, no kids in the back.
They are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them, They are a great all round (predominantly cheap) fun car to drive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144323

:welcome2:
Do the gears go in with the engine off? If they do then it's likely to be a clutch arm issue.

If they still struggle to go in with the engine off it could be an adjustment is needed on the gear cables.
David
:shrug:

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144330

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144375

with engine on or off wont engage 1stt at all, 2nd struggles, 3rd, 4th, 5th OK. in photo looking into tunnel the red arrowed cable housing moves about when trying to engage 1st n 2nd, the blue arrowed cable housing stays solid with no movement. I'm struggling to identify with PQD44's showing of the whole assembly to the one shown as they appear totally different, any ideas ?

Attachments:

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144376

The outer sheath of both cables should be held rigid by the clamp. If one is moving around this is what is causing your problem.
David

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144378

Looking at this diagram of the MGR gear change. The two cable outer sheaths are located into the frame of the gear lever mechanism. It would appear that one of yours has come adrift.
David
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144470

The LE500 gearshift is different to the MGR gearshift...there is no adjustment at the gear stick end of the cables. The only adjustment available is at the gearbox.

The cables are held into the gearshift using C clips same as how they are located at the gearbox end.. Looks like one is loose...here is a piccy which might help...

If it has come loose you will need to remove the centre tunnel to get at it...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, PQD44

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144489

That's very useful information, ta. :yesnod:
David

Gear Selection 9 years 10 months ago #144490

For the benefit of mgfx3.....you get a better sense of how the gearshifts differ by looking in the How To section... Mike Satur Slickshift gearstick - Fitting guide. http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/90750-fitting-an-ms-slickshift-to-my-le500#136963
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT