Topic

Re: Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 12 years 2 months ago #40084

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Hi Willyphixitt

Yep, another good option.

The main reason I go in from above is I have never really just done a gearbox oil change. I am usually doing it as part of something else so probsably already have the engine cover off.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 12 years 2 months ago #40087

Thinking of this one myself when the weather warms up,thanks for all the tips.

Hope I don't c**k it up :unsure:

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 1 month ago #104676

Does this how to need a little tweek, as I believe only MTF94 is recomended for the pg1?

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 1 month ago #104692

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
You are quite correct, although the SMX-S was also roughly the same spec and recommended by others.

You takes your chances. ;)

I have been running with it for a while now and no problems.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 6 days ago #115061

Thanks for the great guide! I am thinking of doing this myself and have two questions:

Where did you get the magnetic drain plug from, I cannot find one anywhere (though I am probably just looking in the wrong place)?

Can I use Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90 Fully Synthetic, which I believe is the SMX-S replacement?

Last edit: Post by philljoynes.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 6 days ago #115062

YES u can
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 6 days ago #115063

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I got wrong for using SMX-S

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 11 years 6 days ago #115069

Hi all
gearbox oil for our cars should be 75w-80 and you can use 75w-90 which will make the gearbox less noisy as it is a bit thicker BUT a cheap 90 will not give the same protection as a good 80 and a good 80 will keep it more quite also
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: philljoynes

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #116625

Reading around, not all 75w-80 is the same and the original MTF was a Texaco product meeting API GL-4 and with a visco of 10.5 @ 100C. Land Rover original MTF (made by Texaco and packaged as L-R) is available at around £15/litre delivered. Comma do not have a suitable alternative (according to their web-site). The MGOC supplies Castrol SMS X which is indeed now sold as Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w-80 and it seems to have a spec fairly close to the original MTF at around £13/litre delivered. I'm going to see what it costs in the local motor factors and then make my mind-up - unless anyone knows better of course!

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #116633

Reading around, not all 75w-80 is the same and the original MTF was a Texaco product meeting API GL-4 and with a visco of 10.5 @ 100C. Land Rover original MTF (made by Texaco and packaged as L-R) is available at around £15/litre delivered. Comma do not have a suitable alternative (according to their web-site). The MGOC supplies Castrol SMS X which is indeed now sold as Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w-80 and it seems to have a spec fairly close to the original MTF at around £13/litre delivered. I'm going to see what it costs in the local motor factors and then make my mind-up - unless anyone knows better of course!

Richard

Answering my own question (!) Roger Parker (page 143) likes the Castrol which is 75w-90 (not 80). So it's just a case of finding 3 litres at a reasonable price.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #116646

Richard

Answering my own question (!) Roger Parker (page 143) likes the Castrol which is 75w-90 (not 80). So it's just a case of finding 3 litres at a reasonable price.

Richard

I have had extensive discussions with Roger about using the new Castrol Syntrans and he rekons that it is better than the MTF94 ~ I have put it in my PG1 gearbox after an extensive drain and is is very smooth and nice to drive. MGFREBORN advised one of our Epsom members that gearbox damage will occour if you dont use MTF94, which is incorrect!!!! You can get MTF94 from Sussex Classic Car Parts or try Opie oils for about £10.00 per litre (you will need three litres) Halfrauds were selling it for £12.99/l

I used cjj's method of filling the gearbox and put in 2.4 litres to fill a "dry" gearbox. There is a quick fill method (used by Daryl) of removing the speedo drive and filling from here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Gearbox - How to top up/refil oil. 10 years 11 months ago #116661

After extensive research and some emails, the Halfords deal of £12.99/ litre for the Castrol delivered FOC (as 3 litres is more than £30) was the best deal I could get from someone with stock while residing in an offshore part of the British mainland (work that out if you can). Halfords - who would have thought it? I feel depressed every time I enter their store in Inverness (which is only when I'm desperate). However, their on-line shopping looks quite good.

Richard

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT