• Page:

Topic

Front bumper.- How to remove 14 years 5 months ago #186

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Well, as part of my hunt for coolant leaks I removed the front bumper to get access to the radiator etc.

As a few "How do I" type questions come up about bumper removal, I have taken a few photos.

The Front bumper is held in 4 main places.

Across the top of the grill (5 x Cross Head Screws)
Inside the wheel arch (2 x Cross Head Screws on each side)
Underneath the radiator (2 x Cross Headed Plastic Screws)
In the recesses each side of the number plate (2 x T50 Torx Screws)

I started by removing the 5 screws at the top.

Then I removed the front wheel arch liners. There are 2 metal cross head screws on the front edge of the arch and one on the rear edge.

and 3 pastic trim cross head screws at the back of the arch, holding the liner in place.

Once all of the liner screws are removed you can remove the liner. Start by peeling the liner from the front of the arch

Until the whole liner is released and it can be pulled out over the wheel. You may find it easier jacking up the car, putting it on axle stands and removing the wheel. I just fed it over the wheel.

Then remove the 4 cross headed screws (2 each side) holding the bumper to the wing.

If you have foglights, you can now disconnect the plugs to each light. Using thumb and forefinger squeeze (or push) the rear edges of the plug together to release it and pull towards you.

While you are under the car, there are 2 plastic trim screws that secure the underside of the bumper to a central strap. Remove these. You may need a right angled screwdriver or need to remove the plastic panel behind to gain access with a normal screwdriver.

Now lie something soft in front of the bumper in case it falls to prevent it getting scratched.

You can now remove the two Torx screws holding the bumper to the armature.

You can now carefully remove the bumper by pulling it towards you from the centre. Place the bumper somewhere where it cannot be damaged.

And that is the bumper removed.

Refitting will be the reverse, but do not tighten the bolts and screws untill you have fitted them all in place.

While the liners are out it is worth checking the inner wings. One point of concern is the rear lower part of the wing where it gets packed full of crud which will hold moisture in place and speed up corrosion in this area. Clean out and add waxoil or similar.

Hope this helps you all to take your bumpers off.

Well worth doing just to check the state of your radiator and hoses.

I have since replaced the 2 screws that attach the bottom of the bumper to the strap with 2 bolts. The original plastic trim screws had pulled out and didn't seem up to the job.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, verve34, bandit, c.steffan, EdGreen, COMMANDER

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49742

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Cracking guide. Did the MGF today.

Just an addition for all you F owners. I had to remove the front indicators from the F to get to the big 17mm bolts as i was tugging but couldn't work out why nothing was moving. Take the lights out and you will find the big bolts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bandit

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49813

watch those pastic indicator clips too when you are removing and putting them back as i snapped one this morning....!!!! quick google and screwed a metal picture frame clip in its place...:-) good as new, lovely cars but some crazy design ideas....!!! plastic spring clip to retain something...!!! hmmmmmmm at what point was someone going to say, "you know, that plastic clip might just snap".......
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49818

Whenever you have to take out the indicators, I think you should just expect them to break and be prepared with velcro or metal picture frame clips.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49823

Whenever you have to take out the indicators, I think you should just expect them to break and be prepared with velcro or metal picture frame clips.

whenever i remove anything from now on David, im expecting to break something...:-) yeah good tip about the velcro too, was going to try number plate tape but couldnt find any in the garage, so screwed the clip in.

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49825

As simple as it sounds to do. This would make a nice little how to guide. I bet loads of people have googled this problem to no avail. ;)

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49834

will do one next weekend if no other volunteers...?
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49838

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I have 1 * bumper and 2 * velcro lights so can put the pics on if you want?
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #49863

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Feel free to add on to this one if you do. :broon:

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #50129

clicky here.....<<<<<

heres the fix / bodge :oops: :oops: to the indicator clip if it snaps off

Last edit: Post by nellee.

Re: Front bumper.- How to remove 7 years 8 months ago #169704

An idea stolen from Rob Bell is to use a cable tie if the clip snaps - wrap it around the stub of the broken clip with the tail pointing to the centre of the car, clip the outer edge in as normal, feed the tail into the clip hole and push the inner edge of the indicator home, you will feel a positive silent click as it goes in.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT