• Page:

Topic

Soft top. - How to adjust 14 years 4 months ago #1591

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
For the best operation the soft top should be taut when closed.

If the material is loose then you may get a lot of wind noise when driving at speed with the soft top up.

If it is too tight then it will be difficult to close properly.

It is very easy to adjust the soft top and the adjustment is on the 2 catch assemblies above the windscreen.

To adjust, release the catches as if you were dropping the roof.

You will then see the tensioner mechanism inside the catch.

The catch adjusting nut is locked in place by a shaped spring. Pull the spring away from the nut. It will sit clear of the nut.

Now you can turn the adjuster nut to either shorten the length (tighten the hood) or extend it (loosen the hood).

Once the roof is adjusted correctly, snap the retainer spring back into place and close the roof.

The roof should now be correctly tensioned.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in, Looney toons, Dranso, COMMANDER, Jcmackay, Notanumber

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Soft top. - How to adjust 7 years 1 month ago #175733

thank you

Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 1 week ago #205507

Is there any other adjustment, like moving clasps when bolts are loosened? My adhuster7 are fully wound down? Thanks

Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 5 days ago #205516

Whilst members ponder the answer to your question perhaps they could also think how to reduce clearance between the hood and the bodywork just behind the window glass by the hinge point.
That gap seems to have increased since the hood was treated with Renovo (cleaner,colour, and protector).

Hoods, what a pain no wonder hard tops became popular.

Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 5 days ago #205518

The gap is an integral part of the hood design. When you have the “heater” on full blast in a vane attempt to demist the windscreen, the air displaced has to go somewhere & it exits through those gaps. Also if they weren’t there & the seal was good elsewhere you wouldn’t be able to close the doors due to air pressure.
At certain speeds the gaps, as you describe, flap about making a rather endearing farting noise, which should remind you of the hey days of the small British sports car. These details are either engineered in to remind you of some of the frailties to be found in the car you have chosen to drive! Or details which the designers haven’t be able to engineer out.
If having a couple of gaps in your hood concerns you, you must never consider a Land Rover.
I would batten down tight all the hoods & hatched on leaving one of mine in the drive & the neighbours cat would still be curled up on the drivers seat in the morning.
M

Re:Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 5 days ago #205519

Whilst members ponder the answer to your question perhaps they could also think how to reduce clearance between the hood and the bodywork just behind the window glass by the hinge point.
That gap seems to have increased since the hood was treated with Renovo (cleaner,colour, and protector).

Hoods, what a pain no wonder hard tops became popular.

Hi. I found this page which is I think what you are looking for
https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/80491-soft-top-adjustment-of-bottom-gap
Ash

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 5 days ago #205521

the height and position of the door windows can be adjusted if there is a gap there. Once the door card is removed it takes a while of fiddling to get the adjustment spot on but its not difficult.
2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Soft top. - How to adjust 2 months 5 days ago #205523

The gap is an integral part of the hood design. When you have the “heater” on full blast in a vane attempt to demist the windscreen, the air displaced has to go somewhere & it exits through those gaps. Also if they weren’t there & the seal was good elsewhere you wouldn’t be able to close the doors due to air pressure.
At certain speeds the gaps, as you describe, flap about making a rather endearing farting noise, which should remind you of the hey days of the small British sports car. These details are either engineered in to remind you of some of the frailties to be found in the car you have chosen to drive! Or details which the designers haven’t be able to engineer out.
If having a couple of gaps in your hood concerns you, you must never consider a Land Rover.
I would batten down tight all the hoods & hatched on leaving one of mine in the drive & the neighbours cat would still be curled up on the drivers seat in the morning.
M

Concerning old Landies series 1,2 and 3 ever the bloody hardtops were like that! :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT