Sign In   Register

Topic

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149377

I plan on doing some long walks around Britain soon.. and I don't plan on carrying my own gear this time. :)

This is the first wearing of the summit backpack by Jet. I took the video immediately after I put it on him and then I took him for a quick walk. It doesn't seem to bother him. I won't load it for a while though, just to be sure he's ok with it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GT MG SPARES LTD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149395

Looks very useful! Training's coming along well too, Leigh. :yesnod:
Now you just need a little buggy you can sit in that he can tow about!:lol:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149401

A swag across his back and some tucker in those bags and you could travel for weeks, :yesnod:
:broon:
[IMG]ht[/img]

Last edit: Post by Davem.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149438

Summit dog backpack training. Initially with an empty backpack. At 01:07 in the video he reacts perfectly naturally whilst wearing it and takes a shit without issue. :lol:

Maybe he's just tolerant... my grandson sits on him and he doesn't bat an eyelid. Follows him everywhere and sits near him whilst he plays with his toys. Herding / guarding instinct no doubt. You'd think he'd know better being 19. :)

Just kidding, he's 3. I get him to command the dog, so he knows his place. He complies without hesitation. I'm happy for that.

I took him out a few hours after the second video (so 3rd time wearing it) and he was chuffed to put it on, tail wagging. It didn't take him long to make that association. Although, he hasn't been out for a few days due to his op. I've put some little flashing lights on each side. He's jet black and almost invisible in the dark.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149611

2.5 months old. 8kg.

8.5 months old. 33kg.

Attachments:

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149613

Absolute beaut!
Robin ;)

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149614

The dog's coat is so shiny you must polish it, do you use the same stuff as you use on the MG? :lol:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149624

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149645

Appreciate your advice on harnesses Leigh.I am not up for it i have billy relatively under control except he goes crazy about cats.
Billy is my 3rd Sheperd,the strongest, i am not iron man but physically fit and average strength.
When Billy sees a cat thats it i really struggle just about stop him from dragging me down someones driveway but in the winter i am concerned even more in the frost i will be skating.
My wife and kids spoli him but just this monday night my wife announced she will have to stop walking him temporarily as she cannot contain his strength when he sees a cat.
She wants a harness,will this enhance his pulling power?
I am getting different opinions on harnesses.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149646

I use a product called ' Gentle leader ' available from Pets at home among others.

I walk three Rotties on these and can hold them when cat radar goes off! That's over 150 kilos of Rottweiler and me on the other end. ;)
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, GT MG SPARES LTD

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149653

Thankyou David,i will get one tomorrow and try billy out on it.
Bit off topic but i thought i would share the photos below which are some of the daft outfits one of my daughters as bought during the last week for our jack russell, Daisy aka the squirrel.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

GSD Pup. 9 years 7 months ago #149654

She wants a harness,will this enhance his pulling power?
I am getting different opinions on harnesses.

I don't know a dog that doesn't like to chase cats 'given the opportunity'. That's the salient bit. :yesnod:

I walk Jet up to the fields nearby and pass 3 local cats sat on their doorsteps. Most days they're there, especially in the morning. Of course he's previously been very keen to get them to take flight and get the prey drive going for a fun run and chase them. So, I put a check / choke chain on him and check him the second he even looks their way. Then I turn around and walk past them again and again and again and again, checking him until he ignores them. The first time it took 15 minutes. But 'ignorance' came in the end. Thankfully. :)

Mine is the old fashioned way. David's suggestion is a softer option and I hear they're very good (once the dog accepts wearing it). Pulling becomes uncomfortable for them, so they no longer do it. Strength wise, big dogs can out pull most people. Especially when they catch us off guard and take flight.

If Billy won't heel when you walk up the footpath, stop and turn around each and every time he pulls ahead. Head back the other way and turn around until it sinks in that it's 'your walk' and not his. Walk slow and make him comply. Eventually it'll sink in that he must heel. Of course the neighbours will think you're crackers. But it's worth 5 minutes of effort. Although, you may never get to go on that walk on that occasion. :lol:

Pack dominance. Jet's not allowed up or down the stairs, when following any family member, until they reach the top or bottom. He has to sit and stay. Then he can come 'when told', 'when allowed', once they're at the top or bottom of the stairs. Same deal with doors or gates or being allowed on beds or chairs. Sometimes you have to go 'back to basics' and teach them to be a dog. It's a little bit of effort for a big return.

When I'm up the fields Jet runs ahead. I let him do that. But I just change direction and randomly walk off the opposite way. I do that every time. He has to pay attention and follow me. It's 'my walk'. Not his. Eventually, he stays closer and pays more attention. I'm the pack leader. He must comply. You can see him paying attention and coming back to me in that backpack video. :yesnod: He won't go too far away now.

As for the backpacks and harness.. One is for carrying my lunch and my coat for when it rains and the other (with the security labels) is for when he's left on guard duty. The wife thinks I'm nuts. :lol:

I wouldn't dispute that. Jet barks at strangers and just looks through people he knows. Burglars.. Would you take the chance?

He's yet to fill out. But being black enhances his 'colgate smile'. That'll deter most times. I don't keep a dog to bark myself. :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT