Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150443

Has anyone tried modifying the air vents in the side of our mgs to make them bigger, not in terms of adding a scoop but simply making the hole bigger?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150451

That'd be just a load of pointless work imho.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150457

good question and i honestly have no idea, am doing some digging around now and will let you know if i find anything. So digging done and if any individual has done this yet then i haven't found him or her. The only reference i can find to larger side air intake vents:

The 'MGF Extreme' was first "revealed" in May, 2001 with a computer-generated mock-up of the finished car, as shown opposite. The car was to be powered by the 450 horsepower MG XP20 'X Power' Le Mans engine - and allegedly road legal - gulp!!!

Larger wheels, functioning aerodynamic body features, larger side air intakes

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/mgf_concepts/extreme.htm

latest update on search results it appears someone may have tried it but not sure it counts:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=501143

Last edit: Post by Denial.

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150460

A lot of scoop extensions were sold on my various group buys ,in fact i have a set that need finishing off/cleaning up in the shed

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/MGF/mgf.html

Last edit: Post by paulsmgf.

Re:Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150463

I wasn't planning on doing anything but I was watching a old top gear (yes I am one off these people who watch repeats) and I was looking at a ascari and just wondering why the air vents where so small. Even when you look at the later mr2's they have a larger air vent.

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150469

Has anyone tried modifying the air vents in the side of our mgs to make them bigger, not in terms of adding a scoop but simply making the hole bigger?

You are going through 2 layers of material which are all flanged and spot welded at the uptake hole, It would be quite an undertaking; that's also why the cars get written off so easily by the insurance if the rear quarter is damaged.

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150474

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
There was somebody on .org who was moving the vent holes further up the car, but I can't find the post now.

He was remodelling using foam and filler etc.

Anyone else remember?

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150497

It was your mate W00dface Clive...

There is a lot of structural strength in the rear quarter panels.. I wouldn't go chopping holes willy nilly.. Just my opinion..

There is a good pic somewhere on the net of a cut away of the rear quarter.. Worth looking at before you go chopping..

I took the plastic liner out and had a feel around inside.. I wouldn't go chopping out any of the box sections inside..

The scoops that Koos did (XR3TF) are great for directing air into the engine bay.. I've smoothed mine into the car too..

I'm also adding under car scoops.. And increased the vents area in the boot lid by 50%

First question I'd ask is why do you want to increase the vent size?

I've done mine because I have the passenger side vent as cold air induction only now (feeding 100mm air hose to throttle body air box)

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Re:Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150507

I don't want to do anything, I have some scoops on my car leading to a pipe to the throttle body like your set up diesel. I was just wondering if anyone had considered it. I was just being curious. How did you smooth your scoops?

Last edit: Post by Orphink.

Re:Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150509

David
:shrug:

Just to be curious... 9 years 6 months ago #150530

I've also made a fibre glass piece that is bonded into the other side.. So that all of the air entering the scoop gets directed into the air box..

I'm using 100mm silicone hose.. So no way I could just 'shove it' into the scoop
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT