Sign In   Register

Topic

MGTF - New car in a tin. Whole car 'Plastidipped'. 12 years 2 months ago #38032

So, collected the alloys I bought off ebay the other day. They were pretty scuffed up but for £50 I couldn't care less.

Got them home, and started work with some 80 grit sandpaper, just getting the worst of the lacquer off whilst blending in some of the curbing.

Then it was time for the Plasti Dip... SO SOON! I hear you painting guru's cry!!! Oh yes ;)

Bit of masking.

First coat goes on very light, almost to the point of not being able to see it. At this point you are just laying down a base for the next layer to stick to.

2nd coat, still light but covering a bit more.

3rd coat, can go on a little thicker now.

The finish after a 4th coat.

Considering what little prep I did, with no priming needed, no lacquer needed after, no epic sanding down Im elated with the results, hoping to get them all done tonight and on tomorrow. I know there are still scuff marks that can be seen on the rim and when it comes to peeling it all off and doing it again (possibly before the Pride of Longbridge event) I'll be filling and sanding the worst.

A little comparison...

Obviously there will be concerns over how long it would last, well I shall be updating this thread with monthly pictures. Living in Cumbria I think is one of the best tests of the durability of this product!

(Oh and yes, I did it on my kitchen floor because I'm a dark side bad ***!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: fast jan, Leigh Ping, Gadget2466, Blow-in

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by psymon.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38034

Well. they look great! :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38038

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Look forward to seeing the full effect in real life. Great pictures Darren :yesnod:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luckymarine

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38043

looks fantastic :broon:
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38044

For how long it took and what it cos tyou that aint bad at all :broon:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38046

they look really good Darren :broon:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38055

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Brilliant .. :broon:
Are you going to do a metal fleck finish ;)
Depending on the price I get for mine to be done today, this is something I would like to try myself B)

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38059

Just had a quick look on the net. - £15.99 a 310ml spray can?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38061

• Visitor
  • Visitor

http://www.dipyourcar.com/shop/page/1?shop_param= Try this one as well, fab how too's on youtube :yesnod:

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38064

Smashed through the other 3 last night got to bed at 4....

Im the type of person who likes things to look right, so if I had sprayed the alloys with the centre caps still in people would have seen on closer inspection that they had been sprayed. Not like Im trying to deceive, I'm just a bit OCD like that.

The Plasti Dipped caps.

The result.

The badges are a black and chrome affair.

All 4 this morning.

Worked it out this morning, 1 can of Plasti Dip cost me £9, all 4 badges cost £8 I had sandpaper knocking about but say £4 for enough to do all the wheels.

That's £21 in materials, that's £5.25 a wheel.

I bought them for £50 so cost per wheel plus materials, that's £17.75 per wheel.

Sure it wont last as long as powder coating or actual spray painting, but each wheel looks like it cost a lot more than £17.75!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38066

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I love OCD, even if it is exhausting ;)

Re: My first/the forum's first attempt at Plasti Dip? 12 years 2 months ago #38067

Its a case of supply and demand, because Plast dip UK are the only ones in the UK that sell it you are better off going direct to them. I got mine for £9 per can.

In this instance Ebay is not your friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT