• Page:

Topic

Rear bumper. - How to remove 14 years 5 months ago #192

• cjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Some jobs are easier to do with the rear bumper removed, such as changing the exhaust etc. This how to will show you how to remove the rear bumper on an MGTF.

The first thing I did was to get the car off the ground to make access a bit easier (not necessary for bumper removal). I backed the car up onto ramps. Don't forget to chock the front wheels to stop the car rolling.

There are a total of 9 screws, bolts and nuts holding the bumper on.

There are 2 cross headed screws on the rear of each wheel arch. One is right at the bottom, holding the plastic liner. For this you can either use a very short cross point (I had a cross point bit in a ratchet) or you can remove the wheel.

And one towards the top of the bumper wheel arch section.

It is in a recess out of view and took me a while to realise they were there.

It is easily removed with a screwdriver.

Once these screws are out, the sides of the bumper are free to move.

Next you should disconnect the 2 electrical connectors that go through the rear of the boot to the number plate lights. You can push the grommets through the holes with a screwdriver.

Next, remove the 2 Torx bolts (T-50), one above each exhaust finsher.

I found it easier to remove the exhaust finishers as I have the superior quad setup ;). If you have the inferior single finishers then you might not have to.

This just leaves the 3 x 13mm nuts inside the boot.

There is one each side, under the rear light clusters.

And one central one under the boot lock.

The middle one is recessed and a pain to get to with a spanner. Best bet is a deep socket and a ratchet with an extension.

Once the last nut is removed it is just a case of sliding the bumber rearwards. You might want to put a blanket on the ground in case you drop it. This should stop it getting scratched.

Congrats, you are now minus a bumper.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, c.steffan, Patterson, Sculler

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Rear bumper. - How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #50188

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
The same for an f but involves 2 * 17mm nuts instead of the torqx bolts but they are a pain to remove I'll put a pick up tomorrow

Re: Rear bumper. - How to remove 11 years 10 months ago #50201

The same for an f but involves 2 * 17mm nuts instead of the torqx bolts but they are a pain to remove I'll put a pick up tomorrow

i took the rear bumper off my F (it is a Mk1) there are 3 x 13mm nuts to undo in the boot and two self tappers screwing the return ends up to the body, all a doddle to get out and out it comes ~ wish all the jobs were as easy as this. did find quite a lot of rust under the paint around the crush cans, going to strip this de rust and paint with hammerite. my bumper is signed and dated by the person that put it on in the factory, 2 days before it left the production line. the front one is the same, just a different person fitted it.

Photo (hopefully!!)

The body below the rear bumper.

Re: Rear bumper. - How to remove 4 years 10 months ago #190462

.... I just changed my bumper on my F and I would say DO NOT try to remove those 17mm bolts. In doing so you'll probably destroy the brackets they are secured to (as I did :( ). Inside the boot there are 8 (I think :) ) bolts that secure the crash boxes. Remove those instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Devinci

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT